Can anyone answer the following questions??

I am a new mom and my son is 7 weeks old.... he doesn't poop everyday,almost neva until I stick a Suppository to help him..is that normal?? Also he is starting to eat more and I decide to give him baby food instead of cereal,is that okay??

nia11

Asked by nia11 at 1:56 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your child is breastfed EXCLUSIVELY, it is perfectly NORMAL not to poop every day. Some babies who EBF poop only once per week, and IT IS OK!

Don't use a suppository at this young age without the advice of your competent pediatrician!

7 weeks is early to feed anything solid, even cereal. Stick with breastmilk/formula for the well-being of your baby.

Hang in there, mama!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:02 AM on May. 12, 2011

• 7 weeks is really early to start on Baby food or cereal. I'd talk to a doctor about his little belly problems!
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:03 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Don't feed him solid food yet! If you are breastfeeding it's verrrry common for the baby to poop either all the time or infrequently. My son pooped once every 10 days for the first 4 months of his life and I was breastfeeding exclusively. Also, suppositories aren't a good idea this young. His stomach and intestinal tracts haven't fully developed so you can't expect him to have the same elimination routines that adults do. If you have questions or concerns you should be asking your pediatrician or if you don't have a pediatrician you can always call a nurse hotline at your local hospital. A general rule to stick to as a first time mom is, If you are worried about something, ASK A DOCTOR. You can never be too careful, this is your baby we're talking about! What you do today could affect his entire life....Good luck Mama and congrats on your new little one :)
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 2:10 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yea, what they said, 7 weeks is wayyyy too early for solid foods, they should only have formula or breastmilk until at least 4 months, if not 6. And yea, if you are breastfeeding, it is considered normal if a baby only poops like once a week. Personally, my little one (who is breastfed btw) goes about every 2-3 days or so...But like they said, I'd talk to the doc and see what they think. That's usually the best way to go.
    summermail88

Answer by summermail88 at 2:13 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you are giving him formula with iron, switch to low or no iron, it will help. You can also use a little Karo syrup in his bottle to help. Call your doctors' nurse and ask her what she recommends. Good luck
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i have three little girls, my third was a differcult newborn for the first 5 weeks non stop crying.
    i was breast feeding, bottle feeding nothing would calm her.
    at 6 weeks i started giving her baby rice two teaspoons in the morning and two teaspoons at night, the crying stopped and she slept through the night she was a much happier baby, by two months she was eating mushed banana for lunch and by 4 months she was getting 3 soild meals aday.

she is now a very healthy 2 year old, tall but with a tiny frame.
    i would not recommend feeding soilds early, talk to the babys doctor first some babies can some babies cant there little stomache's can only take so much.
    gem05

Answer by gem05 at 3:59 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It's NOT normal, I don't care what anyone says. Take him to the Pediatrician or to a Pediatric GI. I'm a nurse and a mom of 3. My youngest had anal stenosis (narrowing of the anus) which caused her anus to be too small to allow for proper bowel movements, gastritis due to a milk and soy sensitivity, and reflux. She had many of the same symptoms you are describing. We went through digital stimulation, suppositories, enemas, millk of mag, mylanta, etc for WEEKS. Even after going on a prescription formula ($57/can! YIKES!!!) she still had trouble pooping. After about 3 weeks of anal dilation and meds, she began having regular bowel movements. Message me if you need any info.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 2:49 PM on May. 12, 2011