Am I overreacting?

My vent ends with a question, so thanks for reading all the way through! Today is my birthday. Usually birthdays really aren't a big deal for me. I like acknowledgement from close friends and of course, family, but i'm not a big fan of cards, presents or parties. This year was no exception. Today my husband went to work as usual in the morning and I stayed at home with our son (16mo) all day. It was a normal weekday in most respects until my DH got home at 5:30 and we went over to my parent's house for my birthday dinner. All was well until DH started arguing with me about some stupid stuff on the way home. After I put our son to bed, all I wanted to do was have some one on one time with DH...that is pretty much all I ever want but he works so much that when he IS around he's exhausted and not easy to engage without pissing off. So tonight when I came out of DS's room to find DH asleep on the couch it just rubbed me the wrong way and I asked him to wake up and spend time with me or get into bed. I would have been fine if he went to bed, since he's obviously tired. But he sleepily told me that he was actually awake and waiting to spend time with me. Well, I attempted to talk with him, snuggle, get him horny....EVERYTHING and he just kept sleeping. Now i'm frustrated as all hell and the ONE thing I really would have wanted for my birthday is the ONE thing I can't have. *So am I totally wrong for feeling this way and should i let it go? OR should I bring this up tomorrow?*
My feelings are hurt but he IS a very hard worker and it's not like I didn't know he might fall asleep while putting DS to bed...He gets really grumpy when I try to wake him up and we usually end up arguing because he's totally irrational and thinks he's awake but he doesn't understand what's going on. I don't want to start a fight over something that i'm just overreacting to....ALSO! I'm 5 days late getting my period and Ive been PMSing like a mofo...so I don't know if this situation is bugging me because of hormones and stress or if i'm being rational...Thanks ladies for your input!

ShainaMay

Asked by ShainaMay at 2:05 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• Expectations will cause resentments. You had expectations because it was your birthday. Instead of being angry, bitter, resentful and all of those fun negative things, look at it a different way. Are you a SAHM? If so, be glad he works so you can be with the baby. Sometimes we forget how hard our men work to take care of us. Not only that, but with young ones around they don't get the attention and care that they wish for, so you have to understand his needs as well as verbalizing yours. It is not easy to adjust to the distractions and time that kids take from the relationship. Just start over tomorrow and make it a better day. Enjoy what you can and leave the rest.. it will make life much more enjoyable.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Thank you. This is pretty much what I think I need to do too, I just needed to hear it from someone else. And yes, I'm a SAHM and that's something I don't take for granted! My husband destroys his body doing very physical labor all day, 6 days a week and just to barely make ends me. I try really hard to be appreciative of that fact but sometimes I slip up and find myself thinking pretty selfishly. CafeMom has a way of keeping me in line! :)
    ShainaMay

Comment by ShainaMay (original poster) at 2:30 AM on May. 12, 2011