Allied Health or Cosmetology?

My DD is 14 and in a tech school she first wanted to be a nurse so she would go into allied health then she went and had a visit with cosmetology and she loves it and wants to take that as her trait i sadi thats good because if she goes to college for nursing latter and it doesnt work than she has cosmo. to lean back on because they get their hair licence in cosmo at their school. but he dad thinks she should go into allied health and take advantage of the oppertunity, what is your opnion on this situation?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• She will earn far, far more money as a nurse. She will have her pick of jobs, get pretty good benefits, and be able to move anywhere. She can always go to cosmetology school later but once she can earn more money than McDonald's pays, she won't want to go to school for the nursing degree.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I for Allied Health! My daughter is 18. She graduated last june. Her ultimate goal is to be a doctor. She wanted to take a year off from college and work. I suggested she take a Medical Assisting course at the local tech school so the she will be able to get a decent paying jobto support herself while she is in college. She is almost done with classes and starts her internship next week.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 5:24 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• people NEVER stop getting sick. there will never be a shortage of jobs in nursing, no matter where you live. in a bad economy people DO stop getting their hair done. have her get a recession proof trade.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• get the hair license and do that to make money while going to nursing school. Of course nurses make more but there is something to be said about getting up in the morning and going to a job you love. I'm not that fortunate, I'm a beauty school dropout and work for the government.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 7:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• beauty treatments are the first thing to go when people are having financial troubles. she may like doing hair more, but I bet she likes being employed reliably better....
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 9:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Nursing is a very high paying profession compared to cosmetology. she wouldn't need to build up a clientel with nursing because there will always be sick people. She could work at WalMart to earn money while going to nursing school and not have to go to school to do it. I'm with her dad on this.

simpsonville

Answer by simpsonville at 12:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2008