How can I make more breastmilk?

I have something planned this saturday, which will require me to be away from my baby for about 8 hrs. I have a good breast pump, but my baby is going through a growth spurt right now, or something, and I never have any extra milk to pump. I take lactation support pills everyday, and drink the mother's milk tea, but it's not making enough of a difference....the extra milk I'm producing from that, he's eating, lol....so anyway, I can't miss this thing on saturday, and I'm not allowed to bring him with me....how can I pump enough milk for the whole day for him by then???!!!!! Any suggestions would be helpful. I'm out of ideas...

summermail88

Asked by summermail88 at 2:07 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you pumping first thing in the morning? Or on one breast while he feeds on the other? Try both of these. Also, refer to www.kellymom.com or www.llli.org for more info! :)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:18 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Pump as much as possible between now and then. If he's sleeping and you're able to pump then you should try to pump and refrigerate or freeze it so he'll have it while you're gone. I've also heard if you drink a lot of water, you'll also make more milk. Wish I had more suggestions for you. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 2:14 AM on May. 12, 2011

• A baby "normally" takes 4-6 oz. per feeding. If your baby eats every 3 hours, you'd need to pump only two feedings for him before Saturday.

After he is done eating, pump for 10 minutes. You won't get much, but even if you get 1/2 oz, by Saturday, you'll certainly have enough in the freezer for two feedings!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 2:11 AM on May. 12, 2011

• the pp is right, any little bit will help. Also, since breastmilk production increases as you feed your baby more, you could always try increasing your feedings. It takes about 3 days for your breasts to kick into high gear but once they do, you'll have more milk to pump!!!
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 2:15 AM on May. 12, 2011

• There is an awesome tea and it actually works. I always had trouble producing milk and always pumped like crazy in between feedings to keep the production up. The tea is called "Mother's Milk" and you could find it at "Whole Foods" , a health food store or the health food section of your local grocery store. It sort of has an almost black licorice flavor to it. One bonus besides really helping my milk production is that something in it is really calming on the nerves. I always felt calm after drinking it which was nice.

I pumped and froze milk alot too. Cause I was very sleep deprived with my third and I think it affected my milk production. Sometimes getting some much needed rest if you can can really help.
    SierraMtnMom

Answer by SierraMtnMom at 2:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Drink a lot of water and pump frequently.
    LovinMySon84

Answer by LovinMySon84 at 2:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

• He just woke up to eat while I was trying to pump, and I did what you said and continued to pump on the side he wasnt eating off of, and I got way more milk, it was like my let down reflex worked a lot better or something, cuz I was able to get 3 oz just outta that one boob lol thanks for the advice!!!
    summermail88

Comment by summermail88 (original poster) at 3:21 AM on May. 12, 2011

• it's too little time to increase your milk at this time, you might just have to mix the breastmilk with the formula during those times. If i'm low in milk I usually drinks a lot of milk during the day and especially at night b/c the morning pump are usually extras. Keep drinking that mother's milk it helps just drink a lot of soup, milk, water starting now. Stress and lack of sleep can decrease your milk supply
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:23 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Formula won't be needed. Baby needs just eight to ten ounces for that time period... and you already have three!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:34 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I was gonna say pump while he eats on the other...you may have had a let down from just the pump...which is often the case...your body also wont produce as much milk from just pumping either...it knows the diff. between baby and pump...it's a nature thing. i'm glad you were able to get milk I was gonna say if all else failed buy some formula just in case...I do suggest taking a hand pump with you when your out.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:27 PM on May. 12, 2011