Since Chaz Bono has been sharing her life experience/pain as a transgendered person.......

Since Chaz Bono has started sharing her and his life experience/pain as a transgendered person, how would you feel if it were your daughter or son? Do you admire Chaz's candid and heartfelt sharing of life-or do you feel others should not know? Do you think if Chaz were your child that you would feel embarrassed or that the entire ordeal was a reflection on you as a mother? How willing and open would you be to consider that your child wants to be in a body that suits their "gender of mind/heart/soul" and life would be better for them if they did whatever they could to be "themselves" inside and out......

kbutts

Asked by kbutts at 2:53 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If my son decided he was supposed to be woman (he's only 16mo so this is a stretch of the imagination for me) I hope that I would be open minded/hearted enough to accept it and support him in his change. I watched the Oprah interview and was saddened to hear what Chaz said about the majority of parents never again speaking with their trans-gendered children. As a parent, I believe you should love your children unconditionally and accept them for who they are, not just who you want them to be.
    ShainaMay

Answer by ShainaMay at 3:03 AM on May. 12, 2011

• some parents even cut ties/relationships/disown/belittle..... if their children marry different races or religions.....i always personally wanted someone to love my child and share life with them with the least amount of negativity or sorrow....wouldn't life be better if this were to happen to all of us?
    kbutts

Comment by kbutts (original poster) at 3:14 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd be scared for my child, but I'd support and love them.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:55 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd love the same as i did before they came out as a transgender person. I would hold their hand and walk with them through whatever ordeal this would have for them.
    It takes a very brave soul to first, acknowledge within yourself that you aren't who you truly feel you are within, and two....to come out with this to the people in your life.
    the fear of ridicule and even being disowned simply for being true to who they are is not somethiing I would want my child to worry about from their mother. I am their mother...I love them with all of my being and embrace all of their being.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:56 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd love them as I always have. I would do everything and anything to help them feel comfortable in their own skin. I truely enjoyed the interview with Chaz. I as their Mom should be the last person they worry about not being supportive.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:02 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd be distraught, but I'd still love my child.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 8:07 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Well seeing how my spouse and I are transgender ourselves, we would be ok with it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:18 AM on May. 12, 2011

• To be honest, I hadn't heard anything about Chaz. But I know that I love my son unconditionally and I would try to support him no matter what life brings. He is his own person, and it is my job as a mother to help him grow as his own person, whatever that means.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:02 AM on May. 12, 2011

• As long as my children are happy and comfortable in their skin, I really don't care about the rest. If my son want's to be a woman or my daughter a man, it's fine with me. If they are happy to be homosexual, it's fine with me. And if they are straighter than a board, I'm fine with that too... I just want them to be happy and loved.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Id never cut my son out of my life because he felt he needed to be a woman. He's my child and Id love him no matter what.

As for the rest, Im unsure. I do not know how Id feel, it would be odd Im sure and it would take some getting used to so it would probably take time to fully grasp it all. So Id allow myself that time and whatever time Id need to mourn the loss of my son as I imagine that would be a strong sensation as well especially if they were a boy for most of their life..kwim?

Doesnt mean Id not support them. Doesnt mean I wouldnt love them. They are my son and that would happen but I also know it would be a shock so time would be needed to fully grasp it all too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:32 AM on May. 12, 2011