So I've never had to do this but...

If you want the full story, you can look at my journal entry titled "After Dealing With This Bitch For Three Years..." but for now I'll make a long story short. The other night my collie bit someone trying to break into my neighbor's house. She had a rabies shot and I'm not in trouble with animal control because she was protecting my neighbor's house but this afternoon an animal control officer came to my house and she informed me that, because my dog did bite someone then she may need to be quarantined. The would-be robber is going to have the prison doctor look at his leg tomorrow and determine if there is a danger of rabies.

I've never had to have a dog quarantined before and I know that the amount of time will be less because she's had her rabies shot but the animal control officer didn't know for sure how long it would be so I'm waiting to hear from the vet. Does anyone know how long I will have to quarantine her and how I'm supposed to do it? I can't keep her locked up and I don't have a fenced in yard and it will kill my little girl if the dog has to stay at the vet. Plus, I don't want to do that to my dog. They're even talking about quarantining my other dog, even though she didn't bite him. The collie bit him and they both chased him up the tree. They may order both of them quarantined, just to be safe.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:55 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Pets

• My friend had an issue with one of her dogs biting a kid that had been tormenting it. She had to leave the dog in the kennel for seven days.
    AmourSpork

Answer by AmourSpork at 4:18 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Seven days wouldn't be so bad. In my house we've always had the rule that dogs that bite get put down so my child is very upset. I keep trying to explain to her that Maggie didn't bite someone because she was mean. She bit someone to protect our neighbors' house and it's ok when a dog bites someone to protect someone. I don't think the bite was that bad. He was wearing thick jeans.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• when I was a kid, our dog bit someone too, she was up to date on her shots but had to be quarantined also, well it was a 10 day long one, and I dont know apparently paper work was lost and they GAVE OUR DOG AWAY! And then refused to get a hold of the new owners to get her back for us, so be careful with the quarantine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I believe it is 10 days in-home quaranteen. I think it is stupid though since the dog was up-to-date. Which also makes you wonder, if vaccines are so GREAT and REALLY work, why doesn't the government have more faith in them??!!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:58 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It's generally 10 days ~ although if she's had her rabies vacc. you should be able to have it done either at the vet or keep her crated at your home. I'm sorry your child is upset ... not her fault OR the dogs' doing. Tell her that!

I have large dogs, and I understand how upsetting this is. Personally, if ANYone ever gets bit because they are protecting us and that person/s decides to try and have my dog/s punished (or worse, put down) they are going to have a lot more legal problems. They would be sued by me for endangering my dogs, and I SWEAR they would have to be tested to make sure they didn't have anything my dogs could be infected with. Sorry ... this is a pet peeve. I'm sick of criminals who obviously didn't consider the job hazards before them embarked on their career of crime. Suing victims (or torturing their pets) when they get caught is just wrong! Judges and lawyers that encourage that are JUST as wrong!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I have had to quarantine my cat for a similar situation, people are so damn stupid sometimes, and it is 10 days. In the house. You can take them out on a leash if they are supervised, but no contact with humans.
    dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 1:39 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Basically the government requires a rabies shot so that they can make money off of it, even though the shot itself is almost useless. It lessens the risk but it doesn't completely prevent the dogs from getting it. I always make sure that my animals have rabies shots because they spend a lot of time outside and I live so close to the woods and my trigger happy neighbor has found a couple of rabid raccoons this year.

Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 3:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

• When I was in high school our cat bit me & it got infected and animal control said she had to be quarantined despite the rabies vaccine. Thankfully our vet saw her and did the quarantine at their office and the cat was fine.
    averyswifeliz

Answer by averyswifeliz at 3:46 PM on May. 15, 2011

• By the way, I was informed yesterday that his bite wasn't severe enough to require the dog be quarantined. She bit him through thick jeans and she didn't do much more then puncture the skin so all is well in the Holliway house right now.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Comment by Razzle_Dazzle1 (original poster) at 4:18 PM on May. 15, 2011