Has anyone every sublet their place to strangers?

Recently, we rented a friend of a friend's very nice townhouse when we went away for the weekend. She really needed the money, and with 5 kids, it is challenging to book a hotel (especially when DH thought I was doing it and I thought HE was doing it, and it came down to the wire).

It turned out GREAT! She had done an amazing job of cleaning the place up and setting up like a hotel. Although we didn't have maid service, we did have our kids LOL

Would you do this kind of thing? Either staying in someone's place or renting your place out for the weekend?

livewell

Asked by livewell at 6:54 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Travel

• I would have to know someone very well to let them stay in my home, especially without me being there with them. And I'm not sure how I feel about renting someone elses home from them.
    millermom07

Answer by millermom07 at 8:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I did this a few years ago when I first took the kids to LA. We wanted a place where they could be themselves. I found a beautiful little house with a yard, fruit trees, not far from the beach and my uncle's place. I wish it were available again for this summer, but they are booked when we will be there.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:03 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I just HATE the idea of cleaning up after someone so I'd probably not sublet (DH has also had problem with tenants in his rental property so I may be biased) but I'd be willing to sublet from someone else (and I wouldn't trash the place!)
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:56 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't, but that's just me. I also would never stay at a bed and breakfast.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 7:00 PM on May. 12, 2011