Where you?

Where you really and "ADULT" at 18? And do think 17/18 yr olds should be treated like "ADULTS"?

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 7:23 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I have 18 year olds who can die for their country but not drink a beer. They have signed on the dotted line. Some of them are mature enough to act like adults. Then I have 30 year olds who work for me who act 12. I don't think there is a magic age.

Unfortunately we can't use amount of common sense to legally declare someone an adult.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:26 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I believe they have the ability to choose between right and wrong. I remember when I was 18, I worked, paid my bills, but never listed to my parents advice just because they were my PARENTS or someone trying to tell me what to do. I learned my lesson, cause they were right, but yes, I think it's safe to say 18 year olds are adults.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:27 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes, I was. I had to grow up fast because I was living in an abusive household. Leaving my parents' house and making it on my own was a priority. I couldn't wait until I turned 18 to move out. Had some ups and downs, but I managed to do it. However, not everyone matures at the same rate/age. If an 18 yr.old proves to be responsibe, then, yes, he/she should be treated as an adult. It depens on the individual. Nevertheless, in certain matters like criminal acts, I believe that 18 yr.olds should be treated and dealt with as adults.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 7:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• At 19 I was married, paying a mortgage and had a son. Having said that...I am now 44 and the mother of 5. I may have been an "adult" in many aspects...but 19 is NOT the voice of reason. One of my DD's is now 20, she is mature, but far from an adult in my eyes. I do however treat her with respect.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:42 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I dont think psychologically they are adults, but physically they are. Our brains do not finish fully developing until we are in our 20s.

Answer by gemgem at 7:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I was an "adult" at a much younger age, actually, according to my mother.

I have a soon-to-be 18 year old and I do believe that some teens at that age are adult and some are not. If they act like adults, then they should be treated like adults. If not, then no.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:33 AM on May. 12, 2011

• This is a tricky one... I got married @ 19 had my first child @ 23. But I lived @ home and respected my parents rules until the day I was married. Was I perfect (Uh...no not by any means!!!)

So yes I was an Adult. No I did not drink underage in front of my parents. I did not sleep with my boyfriend in their house. I did have a curfew. My husband was the same way. And, my children will do the same.

Teaching your children values and respect has nothing to do with being and "adult" it is the right thing to do.  Yes, at 18 your child can die for his country, vote for the president, get a job and even own a car.  That doesn't mean the he has all the tools he needs to be successful and he certainly doesn't have very much life experience.  I'm not saying lock him up - just guide him!

sipn_mom

Comment by sipn_mom (original poster) at 7:33 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It depends on their maturity level, of course.

Personally, I graduated at 17, turned 18 over the summer and moved out as fast as I could with my current boyfriend who was 21. I had a job at the time also and had already picked my classes for college. Everything was great at first, I went to work & school like a good little girl. That boyfriend ended up being a moocher and stayed home all day playing video games and smoking out of his bong. I was young, and didn't want all this responsibility, I wanted more time to sit on my ass, too. So I dropped out of college, bounced from job to job, changed boyfriends, and ended up getting pregnant at 19. That boyfriend wasn't a good one either, he left us. So I moved back home for a while, had my baby, got a job, went to school, and did much better for myself. Now I'm almost 25, looking back I wish I had been more mature and held off on trying to be an adult so quickly.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:37 AM on May. 12, 2011

• IMHO, you are truly an adult when your body and brain are fully mature. The frontal lobe matures around the age of 23. It's not that you don't have the capacity to act maturely before that, but from a developmental standpoint, you're not ready.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 7:44 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes I was.
    I was taking care of myself and working and paying rent at 16. I also owned 2 cars.
    Married at 17, working full time and going to college and doing it a whole lot better than some of the older non traditional students at the time. My most productive years were 14 through 27. Sometimes I can't believe what all I was able to do at such a young age.
    Currently at 16, my son has complete control over his life and I have no problem with that. He is a very busy guy, and I could never handle his situations or schedules and literally is more of an adult than some of my friends in their 30's.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 7:52 AM on May. 12, 2011