Do you homeschool?

Do you buy a course or make up your own curriculum?

livewell

Asked by livewell at 7:58 AM on May. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You can do it either way. Some parents choose to have an online virtual school provider (K12, Calvert, etc...) which is affiliated with a public school. They send you everything you'll need for the year and provide teacher support. You are accountable to the time spent on schooling and are required to do state testing. It is free and your days are pretty much all lined out for you. There is flexibility - as long as you log in the required hours is doesn't matter what time you start or finish.

On the other hand, if you choose to piecemeal your child's education it can get expensive if you're not careful. I initially started out doing it this way and there are online forums and websites that have "garage sales" that you can get materials from and it's a lot cheaper - of course, there is Ebay. There are lots of free websites that you can download worksheets, etc. There is a lot of info out there - research!!
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 8:08 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I do a little bit of both. It really just depends on what the subject is and what my goals are with that subject.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:37 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Oh, we already homeschool, and we buy courses...I was just curious as to what other homeschoolers are doing :)
    livewell

Comment by livewell (original poster) at 10:00 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We are still debating this :-(
    DD is 4.5 with a late bday so we still have another year to "decide".. I get use to the idea of homeschooling, then something happens & brings in a lot of doubt. So I start getting excited over all that she can do in school. Then, Im reminded of how bad our schools are..
    Its so stressful trying to decide. I feel either way she is going to lose out on stuff. But then I see the greatness that is there in either direction! *sigh*.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:42 AM on May. 12, 2011

• @ MammaTasha - I wonder what things "happen" that brings a lot of doubt into your mind?
    livewell

Comment by livewell (original poster) at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We pick and choose things that we like and work for us. I think most people find that a pre-set boxed curriculum are hard because they like prts of it but not usually all of it.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 10:56 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think if I only have a public school education how can I be any better? Im worried I wont be able to stay on track & I wont teach her everything she needs. I doubt my ability to teach effectively.
    Also my dd is very social & LOVES the thought of school. I know at home she wouldn't see friends daily. but at school she would. And homeschooling is so new to us. Going off the beaten path is scary.
    I feel I alone hold my childs education in my hand homeschooling. At school its more of a team. As a parent I still have a lot of responsibility in my kids education, but Im not alone.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:04 AM on May. 12, 2011

• @ MammaTasha - you might be surprised at how many homeschooling support systems there are, both locally and online :) and I wouldn't let YOUR level of education stop you, especially in the younger years, where honestly (in my opinion) they are very vulnerable to bad influences which unfortunately abound, and should spend more time in the company of adults if they are to grow up to BE adults, than in large groups of children. Children learn by SEEING and IMITATION and so it stands to reason that if you put them with a few adults and a bunch of kids, they will have more children to imitate than adults, they have their childish behaviours reinforsed. IMO
    livewell

Comment by livewell (original poster) at 1:26 PM on May. 12, 2011

• right now she is in public school but as soon as she learns how to read well we are homeschooling. i found a public online homeschooling through the state that is free.
    wifey000175554

Answer by wifey000175554 at 1:49 PM on May. 13, 2011