Shopping to dress your family. What's your technique?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Shopping

• For my toddler DD I stock up on clothes at a twice a year consignment sale in my community. Then I pick up whatever else she needs as she grows at regular stores. DH is sort of in charge of his own clothes. For myself, I shop Walmart, Target, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, or consignment stores. I work in an office and have to look professional but I like to find great bargains.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:53 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I didn't know there were techniques to dressing your family.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:12 AM on May. 12, 2011

• With the little kids, I'm still in charge. With my 11 year old, I make sure she is with me so what we buy is the right size and fits her personal style. With hubby, he let's me take charge as well.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:11 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My kids are young. We get everything from second hand stores and garage sales.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:33 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you mean money wise, then my kids are still fine with thrift store and second hand clothes, so that is how I save money with buying clothes. My oldest is almost 13 now, and she knows that we can find some very nice, name brand clothes at thrift and consignment stores, so she realizes that $20 can buy her ONE pair of brand new jeans, or she may be able to get 3 or 4 if they are used already (and still in good shape). If you mean styles, then for the most part, we let our children decide what they like and don't like. We just have rules of how revealing, etc they are. No belly showing, no short shorts/skirts. The clothes can't have any bad logos on them either. Other than that, it's pretty much open to them.
    millermom07

Answer by millermom07 at 8:34 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I buy all of the kids clothes but do let them start choosing their own styles and things by the time they are 12 or so (within reason). I am still there to guide them obviously. I buy all of their clothes at the childrens place, the gap, old navy, belk, gymboree, pac sun, abercrombie and places like that (again depending on age is based on where we go). They also only wear name brand shoes. I just find the quality of clothing important, along with the ability to wear what is in style now and not out dated. It is one pet peeve I have. They do wear clothes from walmart or hand me downs in the summer when they help in the garden or play in the dirt. Other than that I expect them to look nice at all times.

Answer by gemgem at 8:45 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Well mostly I shop for kids clothes so I buy sale items at the end of the season in the next size for the next year. I got tons of really cute OshKosh Jackets & Shirts for my Son on sale last Spring at Kohls that he wore this winter. If I find a really great deal on something, I'll buy two sizes up.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:46 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We have 5 kids and they earn Fashion Bucks for doing what we want them to. They get to pick what ever they want with that, and can choose if they want new or used.

The basics, I buy the stuff and we (for instance) only buy black socks and they all get an allotment of socks with no headache of sorting 5 people's socks out.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 10:28 AM on May. 12, 2011