Is it the exception or the rule?

The statement comes up frequently about how it's to be expected that there are "some" people who have been raised in a sheltered environment with no concept of any religions existing in America beyond Christianity. In many cases, beyond Protestant Christianity to the exclusion of LDS and JW, and that also includes those raised with the idea that Catholics aren't even Christian. There are some pretty common sense things - other religions exist, not everyone is Christian, it's not a Christian nation, etc, that appear to not be common enough.

When someone comes into a question insulting other religions and other's parenting (usually a new member) excuses are made to say that maybe they've been sheltered and it's not their fault they don't know any better. Then it's followed by examples of "all" the other Christians around the site and elsewhere who do understand the concept of other religions existing. Thing is, there seems to be a never ending flood of these naive people raised in sheltered circumstances who don't understand why yelling at people for not raising their kids to be Christian or asking people why they don't believe in Christianity is wrong. So many, in fact, that it seems it's not the naive and sheltered who are the exception, but rather, the rule.

So what's the reality - are the overbearing and rude Christians inexplicably drawn to this site for some reason (being in the R&B or RD section isn't the answer -it happens in every section of the site), or is the truth that acceptance and understanding are not as common as people like to believe? Reading some of the latest crop of "new" people in R&B just over the past few days makes it obvious that there isn't much common knowledge joining of its own accord. At best it's dragged kicking and screaming as people grow tired of explaining that same common sense over and over and over and over again.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:23 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Sadly, I agree, it does seem to be the rule rather than the exception, and from my experience, acceptance and understanding are not generally the norm.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 8:37 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Honestly, I don't think it's either one. I think that pretty much every faith has it's fair share of those that are tolerant and those that are not (including Atheist, which I consider in the same category as a faith - because they believe there is no God, just as some others believe there is...).

I also know that there are some who think it's funny to go onto sites like this and post inflammatory statements just to see people get upset - not just the obvious trolls, but those that are much more subtle about it - some even arguing for a faith or political view that they don't agree with, just to see people freak out. I don't know for sure that it happens here specifically, but I know it happens on other sites, so I would imagine that it happens here, too. (Not to mention that sometimes people create multiple accounts and support themselves...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:39 AM on May. 12, 2011

• ), or is the truth that acceptance and understanding are not as common as people like to believe? Reading some of the latest crop of "new" people in R&B just over the past few days makes it
    --
    IMO
    this is the situation. but it encircles everything in life. not just religion.
    People, especially women, like to be right or feel that they are right. So they make it a severe point for others that they are right.
    We only accept what we want to accept in our lives. Religion issues, financial issues, relationship issues, everything.
    For some who were " sheltered" and comfortable, the refusal of what is unknown makes the fear a little less.
    When someone is very stable in their beliefs, and knows what they believe and why they believe it, the forcefullness with having to be right and judgemental fades.
    People do what works for them, and if unacceptance satisfies a need, they'll do it regardless of the upbringing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Well now I need to visit R&B and RD.

People join Christian sites to aggravate in debates all the time. They seem to do it for fun. I wonder if that is what you see happening here only in reverse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Also, sort of look at it like this - not all Americans are like those with the Westboro Baptist Church, right? However, if you weren't American, then, because they are so obnoxious (which is what stands out in our minds and registers in our memories), it could be easy to believe, if you had little to no dealings with Americans in your "regular life" that we are all like that.... Because the "regular" people all sort of blend in and, in a lot of ways, fade away.

Sort of like the obnoxious lady in the store with the screaming tantrum throwing kids... That's going to be the lady you remember, not the 5 other ones who were quietly going about their business with their kids....

Know what I mean? :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:42 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I see what you are saying. I am beginning to think not only is it the "rule" but rather people use their religion as an excuse to their ignorance. (I'm not using ignorance as a slam...it's the same as saying they are naive to other people and their beliefs.)AND other religious people will jump to their rescue claiming the same thing.
    Of course NOT ALL do this...so no one jump on me for saying that.
    I just understand whta the OP is saying.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:08 AM on May. 12, 2011

• "as people grow tired of explaining that same common sense over and over and over and over again"

I hear ya! I've been bypassing many questions in Rd lately....there are only so many times i will give an explanation.

I also agree that some people use religion as an excuse for their ignorance. It does seem like the rule...exceptance & understanding can be real hard for some, even though some say otherwise...i must laugh...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:17 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Exception not only on here but IRL as well-
    And Christians are not the only ones on here- we have plenty of newbies that are Atheists that have zero understanding of vastness of religion and assume everyone is "the narrow minded Christian they grew up with". If I judged all Atheists on the actions of a few on here that would be inaccurate-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:38 AM on May. 12, 2011

• And Christians are not the only ones on here- we have plenty of newbies that are Atheists that have zero understanding of vastness of religion and assume everyone is "the narrow minded Christian they grew up with". If I judged all Atheists on the actions of a few on here that would be inaccurate-

The difference is, even as we read that, we all know exactly who you are referring to by name, whether we agree with the assessment or not. There are that few people who fit that criteria - to the point we even remember the names of ones who appeared and disappeared over a month ago. On the other hand, can you name all the "sheltered Christians" who've surfaced in the past week alone who have managed to insult people without even trying?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• On the other hand, can you name all the "sheltered Christians" who've surfaced in the past week alone who have managed to insult people without even trying?

Yes- currently the "sheltered Christians" outnumber the others-but it seems to change weekly- and there are more Christians than Atheists so if you think oh, maybe 15% fit that criteria from each group then there would naturally be more "sheltered Christians"- however- I can say that I find it more "hypocritical" (for lack of a better word) to be an intolerant Christian than an intolerant Atheist because Christianity (in my opinion) specifically teaches against that- Please do not misunderstand that to mean Atheists have no code or ethics- I am having a hard time putting it in to words-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:57 AM on May. 12, 2011