Military Care Packages -- Help!!!!

Heya ladies! I already have a care package all set to send to my DH buuuuuuuuut...... there are items in it that he requested that I don't want anyone to know about because they steal them. How can I get around listing the items on the customs forms?

These are not exactly high-priced items, but they aren't cheap either and they ARE necessary (involving his online schooling and power supply). He wasn't even at his official location yet before people were snooping through everyone's rucksacks and stealing stuff and I'm positive that if the mail sorters know what's really in there, DH won't get half of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• just summarize what's in there. if you're sending him an IPOD and a laptop, put "electronics - 2". if you're sending him 3 bags of candy and some easy mac - put "food - 4". you don't have to list the items word for word.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:12 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you list everything that is on there and something is missing, you can prove that it was stolen by someone who handled it and that is a felony.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:07 AM on May. 12, 2011

• When I sent care packages to my hubby, I didn't list EVERY single item. I just did a summary. So if he had underwear/socks/etc, I just listed clothes. If I sent him foods/candies, then I just said food items. So find a way to list it on the summary that isn't as obvious to anyone that may see it. Because the post office doesn't check, so you CAN omit items from the list ;)
    millermom07

Answer by millermom07 at 8:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Be vague, and don't list what it's really worth - that was one tip I got when my brother was in Iraq. Maybe on the inside, for his eyes only, put a detailed list, but on the customs form be vague - "school supplies", "pictures from kids", "homemade snacks", stuff like that. I work for the USPS actually, and the other day I picked up a package destined for Ukraine, and the contents were listed as t-shirts and books - even though we all knew there was more in it than that ;) (birthday present for the grandchild, for example, lol).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 12, 2011

• How awesome, I didn't know I could generalize! WOOT! I don't really want to omit anything because I don't want it to look shady, but the amount of stealing that goes on over there...ugh!

Thanks so much for the tips and advice ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:49 PM on May. 12, 2011