Why do my son's ears have so much wax?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:50 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• IF he's anything like my daughter, it's because his ear canals are small/narrow so the wax tends to build up more/quicker than others. Make sure you clean them regularly and if he starts to complain of not being able to hear or troublesome ears, you can try Debrox (otc); it works pretty good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It can be genetic too. I have that problem as does my daughter but not my son (neither does my husband) Doc just told me a few drops of hydrogen peroxide and rub gently can break it up. there is also OTC for ear wax. If it gets really bad a doc and flush it out. It's really nothing harmful but if it builds up can cause him to not hear as well so keep it clean - don't stick q tips in there though, stick with the peroxide!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:59 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My doc told me to use the hydrogen peroxide and a baby snot sucker. put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the ear. Let it sit for a minute and then flush it out with water from the baby snot sucker. (Buy a new one....don't use one that has sucked snot..LOL) Then tip the head so the water can drain out of the ear.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:14 AM on May. 12, 2011

• he may have seasonal allergies. I remember very well, almost all of our past patients with wax problems were also our allergy patients. the above advice is good
    H2O2 and warm water irrigations, you can also use olive oil, mineral oil, baby oil, pericolace liquid stool softener, warm soapy water or the OTC wax removal systems and solutions.
    If he's young and you start the routine of wax removal in the bathtub, he won't fight it so much as he gets older. When he's older, let him wash out his ears daily in the warm shower and it works great as a preventative for wax buildup. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:18 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Definitly genetic. My Son has very waxy ears & so does DH. At least his body is keeping his ears clean. The wax pushes out & blocks bacteria.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:43 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yeah, its a genetic thing. All of those suggestions above area great!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 1:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

• are you sure it's wax and not pus?
    nurse_maya

Answer by nurse_maya at 6:49 AM on May. 20, 2011

• nurse maya..how do you tell the difference?
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:34 AM on May. 20, 2011

• its kind of orange in color
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 7:35 AM on May. 20, 2011