Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Are you aware? adult content

That if a minor (under 18) boy gets a minor girl pregnant and the baby is born well before the boy turns 18, his parents could end up paying child support based off of what THEY make? Just thought I would share that info, it is possible that it could happen in just about any state BTW.


Asked by JLS2388 at 8:50 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 25 (25,280 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (29)
  • Yes I knew this. I think it is a good idea.

    Answer by Peajewel at 1:46 AM on May. 14, 2011

  • This is why those smart ones with teen sons emphasize the use of condoms. They also tell their sons they have to buy their own because it makes the teen think twice before they even have sex. And they start talking about sex and responsibilities that come with having sex as soon as their boys hit middle school if not earlier.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:25 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • It depends on the state. Here in PA, if the father is over 17 he's considered an emancipated minor once he has a child and held accountable, not his parents. In other states I've heard of that as early as 16. State laws on that kind of thing will be different everywhere.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:53 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • It makes sense, you are legally responsible for your children, and therefore, their children, until they are adults.

    Answer by dwmom2008 at 8:54 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • I agree that it makes sense.

    Answer by ABeaverhausen at 8:56 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • As a mom to two boys I would DEFINITELY help out if one of them got a girl pregnant. You wouldn't need a court order to make me do it

    Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 10:09 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • I agree with Nicoles@LilRams - I have two boys as well, and I would absolutely help out if they were get a girl pregnant. There is no way I'd turn a blind eye on a grandchild and expect some one else to just "deal" with it. I would feel an obligation as a grandmother (not that I particularly want to be one any time soon).

    Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:17 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • Makes Sense...

    Answer by sstepph at 10:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • I think it depends on the state. But, I have a son and I would help out as much as I could IF he was in that situation and he would be getting a job to help support the child and he would be there caring for the child too. I have stressed responsibility and protection since he was young enough to understand. I will buy him condoms if that it what it takes to protect him and whomever he sleeps with.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • sabrina, like I said, they have to be well bellow 18. Some states it is 17, others it is 18 and a few it is 16 but say your son got a girl pregnant at 14, you would be paying the child support. I guess it is fair, since otherwise, the girl's family is going to end up paying for everything.

    Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on May. 12, 2011