Judge Calls Child Molester “Gayer Than A Sweet-Smelling Jockstrap” adult content

Judge Philip Kirk had harsh words for a man convicted of molesting four different boys in the course of 40 years. When bus driver, Delton Gorges, claimed he was straight despite the conviction, Kirk said, “I think you were born gayer than a sweet-smelling jockstrap.”

I found this story on FB where it was asked that readers would call and make it known that this type of slur is NOT okay in our courts... One of the comments made by another reader was "i agree but i'm not going to support this... especially if he is a child molester.... think about it... if he hadn't done what he did he wouldn't have been in court being called that in the first place"

So here's my question: Is it acceptable for a Judge to use such language? And does it matter what type of crime this man is convicted of?

To me, a slur is a slur, I don't care if it's the Judge or some bum on the street and it matters even less who they are speaking to.
What do you all think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:15 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "I think you were born gayer than a sweet-smelling jockstrap," Kirk said in regard to Gorges' claim of heterosexuality.

Kirk also said, "I think that if anyone believes that in the last 10 years or 15 years all of a sudden you developed an interest in homosexuality and young boys, then I must have looked ravishing in my prom dress this year."

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20110512/APC0101/105120577/Judge-surprised-by-reaction-comments-made-child-sex-predator

________

I think the full quote would be helpful..... I think he should have chosen his words more carefully for sure.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:20 AM on May. 12, 2011

• BTW I understand you had it in the article but it was what stood out to me in the question title thats all.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it was gross. I don't equate child molesters with homosexuality, as their victim is chosen largely by their age.

I can see it being offensive to the gay community, but I won't claim to know that this is how he meant it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think he went easy on him, I would have said a lot worse to the pervert and anyone that thinks it was inappropriate needs to shut the hell up and remember that touching young boys is innapropriate. I hope the faggot rots in hell.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I don't think homosexuals are child molesters either.. Two totally seperate issues... Gays are just like any other in my opinion.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• uh oh....one of the seven words you're not allowed to say. warning warning.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

•  I hope the faggot rots in hell.

_____

Really? Its funny that a question about slurs brings this out.  The issue is that he is a pedophile  not his sexual preference.

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• im curious why this would offend the gay community? the judge's words weren't a slam to homosexuals. he's not saying being gay = child molester. hes saying man touching little boy = homosexual pedophile, which i agree with.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:27 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I don't think he meant it to bash gays.........maybe he should have thought a bit more before he blurted it out, but I'm sure the sob deserved to have SOMETHING harsh said to him............
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:28 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think that is freaking funnier than crap. Very original too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on May. 12, 2011