Merrick Dog Food?

I recently switched my dogs to Chef Michael's dog food - only to find out that it's a 2-star food (at best). I'm not happy about this, so I did some research and found the Merrick's dog food line is rated 4 or 5-star - with primary ingredients being either beef, fish or poultry - And without glutens, meat by-products or dyes. (This I'm very happy about - since I wouldn't eat meat by-products why would I feed them to my Chihuahua - geez you ever read about what's included in meat by-products: whole heads (ground up), ovaries, dead fetuses, stomach and intestinal waste - OMG!)

So anyhow, I'm now thinking of switching the girls to this 5-star food and wanted to know if anyone has or does use it? If so, did your dogs health/coat improve with this food? What do you think of it?

ShelbyShareAlot

Asked by ShelbyShareAlot at 9:16 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Pets

• I've never tried it, but it looks good! I feed mine Taste of the Wild. There are four different "flavors"(all 5 out of 5 star-rated on dogfoodadvisor.com and 5 out of 6 star-rated on dogfoodanalysis.com) that I rotate with each bag. They are all grain-free. My dogs LOVE it and their coats are sooo shiney/soft and their skin is so healthy. They only poop once, maybe twice, per day, and it is always well-formed & small (even my 40lb-er). That is gross, but it is very important because it means they are utilizing all of the nutrients in the food and leave very little for me to clean up!
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:47 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My Greyhound LOVED that stuff it was the only food that didn't disrupt his digestive tract.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 10:05 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Dog Food Reviews/  Merrick dog food;  A very good choice :  Great for you!  Yes, Educate yourself on the Junk ingredients that are in many high cost and low cost dog foods.   Good choice with Merrick!

We also use NuVet Vitamins to balance out what my dogs don't get in dog food.    That's why we use the NuVET daily:  It's a treat wafer.

see here for NuVet info:  http://www.nuvet.com/81098     ( use discount code 81098 and ask for the 15 % off)   NuVET is human grade ingredients and made in the USA... Always make sure your food or treats are made in the USA...Look at the back of any bag you buy- in tiny print it will say USA or ( China...)  Don't buy anything from China....

HOPE this helps...

Marie and Miss Priss

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 8:29 AM on May. 25, 2011

• Thanks- I appreciate the responses. I went ahead and switched them to Merrick; been about a week now, going on two- they are thriving already. Their coats looks better and the chihuahua has dropped half a pound.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Comment by ShelbyShareAlot (original poster) at 8:39 AM on May. 25, 2011