Not a question, but....today is National Fibromyalgia awareness day!

So, if you know someone who has Fibro, be sure to give them a gentle hug, and tell them it's gonna be ok. Hope everyone has a great day. God bless you all!

cbk_mom3

Asked by cbk_mom3 at 9:19 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Health

• Very nice post!!!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 9:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'm the only person I know with Fibromyalgia. But it's good to know we have an awareness day... Maybe it will push my doctor to believe it's real.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Thank you Dahis. Sabrina, I'm so sorry you have a doctor who doesn't think it's real. That's awful. You know, I've always said, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but if those who say it's not real walked a day in our shoes, they'd change their tunes real quick. I hope you are able to show him it's not all in your head! Sending you (((gentle hugs)))).
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 9:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Thankfully my doctor is one of the few that actually cares about his patients rather than his own opinions. He was willing to diagnose me so I could go to a specialist even though he doesn't believe it's real. And really, I guess now it doesn't matter. I haven't see ANY doctor for fibro is over 10 years, so whether or not he or any other doctor believe it's real, doesn't affect ME. It upsets me though because for every doctor that doesn't believe in it, someone who needs that diagnosis, isn't getting it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:29 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Sabrina, you are 100% right! And, it's a tragedy, that so many don't get treated because their doctors don't believe it's real. I'm very fortunate. The doctor I've had for years knew from the beginning it was real, and treated me, but he is closing his practice here, and moving closer to his wife's family. So, I found an internist, and he also knows it's real, in fact, he told me he treats many Fibro patients,so at least my new doctor is able to keep on with my treatments, which I was worried about when I found out the old doctor was leaving.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 9:32 AM on May. 12, 2011

• So are you in treatment then? Personally I don't see any point. Diet and lifestyle changes have done more than anything else for me. I don't believe in medication, so I don't see a point to treatment with a doctor. But it is at least good to have a name for my issues... It's amazing how much that name does for you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:38 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes, I am. But, I've heard many more women who are like you,and would rather do it naturally. I've been tempted to try. And, you are right, it does help to have a name for how you feel. Makes one feel like they aren't going nuts.
    cbk_mom3

Comment by cbk_mom3 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you want a great site to meet others with FM, go to: www.inspire.com/ This is a really great site with lots and lots of support groups for all different kinds of health problems. I have sarcoidosis, and I am on inspire as dwmom2008. Another great site is: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ Love, light, and health to all you ladies with FM!

we rock

dwmom2008

Answer by dwmom2008 at 9:52 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I am very lucky in that I had a very insightful doctor who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia way back in '98 when I was in my late twenties. Now I'm in my early 40s and credit being able to live a fairly full life with the fact that I've been treated for the disorder all these years. If your doctor won't listen to you and take you seriously, FIND ANOTHER DOCTOR. This is a REAL disorder that deserves REAL treatment.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 9:59 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My mom has it...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 10:10 AM on May. 12, 2011