Painful contractions, 5mins apart, for hours straight, gone...again! Has anyone else experienced this?

May 8th was my early ultrasound due date and today is my LMP due date. From 10PM to 2AM (and past that) I had what started as mild contractions, and right before I fell asleep at 2AM turned into contractions I actually had to remind myself to breath through and were definitely getting more painful/lasting longer. I woke up over and over again throughout the night to contractions, but kept reminding myself to try to get sleep while I could before heading to the hospital. Well it's 6AM and this has happened before, just 2 days ago. I had contractions 5mins apart for 5hrs only to wake up and have them gone!

Here I am, finally allowing myself to be up with less than 4hrs sleep, and have only had one contraction in 20mins that was much more mild than what I was feeling this morning. What am I doing wrong? Am I crazy for going to sleep with contractions like that? I've always heard that nothing will mess with real contractions, but it seems as though me going to sleep these past two false alarm times has. :/ I started losing my mucus plug a week ago with my first real contractions. They were irregular and spaced far apart, but definitely dilating me as I saw when the doctor checked me Monday. I was 3cm dilated, 80% effaced, and at station 0. With 2 nights of 5+hrs of regular contractions, I can only imagine what I must be at now. Has anyone else experienced this?

ours

Asked by ours at 9:21 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would call your doctor and let them know whats going on, if you were having contractions 5 minutes apart for hours and you were already 3cm dialated then im sure that by now you are probably at least 5cm. And when a woman is 3 cm they will keep you at the hospital and admit you....so I would call the doctor so you can go and have that baby today !! Good Luck mama and Congrats on the new baby !!!
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:29 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I was considering it. I just can't take this back and forth with contractions! When they're irregular they're easier to ignore, but it's so frustrating that my body is making me think that I'm in labor for so long and then just stopping. I have this fear that maybe my body is going to need a push to stay in labor? I just couldn't imagine going into the hospital last night with no sleep, so I decided to lay down eventually instead of taking a walk. Also I heard that when they're not full blown contractions and just menstrual like cramping that means you're effacing. I HAVE to be 100% at this point with that, plus she's obviously dropping.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 9:37 AM on May. 12, 2011

• happened to me w my 3rd. then contractions started coming back to back all of a sudden & made it to hospital at 9 cms. if this is your 1st give it time.. if not go to L&D!!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 9:39 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It's my second, but with my first I only ever made it to 1cm before having to have a c-section. We're trying a VBAC this time.

I seriously feel like by the time I get to the hospital I'm going to be 6+ cm.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 9:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I have been having the same problem, and I am 37 weeks pregnant with my 3rd. It is really annoying. Labor either needs to start for real, or stop with these little teasers.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:57 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Mom-2-3-Girlz - Are you getting regular contractions too? I never thought that you could go 5+ hours with contractions 5mins apart and have it not turn into full blown labor. Especially when they get more painful and last longer like they're supposed to! I just don't get it! I'm thinking about just going into the hospital today. I think I might be leaking some amniotic fluids too so if I am that should help with them possibly just helping things along. At least this time I'm still contracting about every 10+mins. Last time this happened 2 days ago I had one weak contraction then practically nothing the rest of the day.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 10:19 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes...I have had them so bad it felt like they were coming on top of each other...but when I had my LP check me, I was closed, so we would wait...and they would go away. This has happened two or three times, the last time being the most severe. I just want this baby out! Even on days when they aren't regular, I still have contractions periodically throughout the day. It sucks.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:21 AM on May. 12, 2011