Walkers

Do baby walkers delay walking?

Courtney508

Asked by Courtney508 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont think it does it helps if anything both mine were in walkers
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I've read that it can b/c the baby learns to walk leaning forward with their body resting/pushing the walker instead of straight up. They have to learn to adjust. I think that's part of the reason you see fewer on the market than you did years ago.
    Anonymous

• I say no. Both my other kids used a walker and they walked by 11 months. My 9 month old hates his walker though! :(
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 5:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• you know I am not sure on this. My brother used one but he learned just fine. I do know how ever that my aunt use to flip them all the time. I also know that my neighbors daughter ended up in the er because she walked under a table in one and strangeled her self on the edge of the table. For those reasons I won't use them.
    moma_nina

Answer by moma_nina at 6:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I am a supporter of walkers, but I have heard the arguments that it teaches the wrong movements. I have my son in one for part of the day every day and he loves being upright and having free reign. It makes him happy now, that's what I care about!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• it helped my daughter to learn how to walk.. she was always staying straight up in the walker... she was doing very well in it. :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't think so. My oldest was totally walking by 13 months and he was a preemie. My second son was walking by 10 months. They both used walkers and loved them.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 6:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• no, it's made to help them get the muscle strength they need to walk. I love em'
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No I dont think so, I just stick my GS in his walker and let him go all over the house while I sleep. He usually ends up outside though and I have to go chasing him all over the place. He's like a damn rabbit I tell ya!
    Anonymous

• Googled it and experts say Walkers can possibly delay walking along with other safety issues

http://www.drgreene.com/21_810.html

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/19990912132432data_trunc_sys.shtml

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t110235.asp
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2008