How do you prepare your child?

for preschool; my son will be starting preschool in the Fall and I would like some ideas and suggestions as to what to do to help him get prepared for this.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 9:49 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I just talked about school a lot & made him excited to go. He had to learn what circle time was & how to sit and listen. He learned quickly simply by watching what the other kids do. It's amazing, I was so worried about him cooperating & not being upset when I left him there. Well within a week or so, he was a preschool professional & was like "yea, bye Momma" & now runs in to play & doesn't look back. he loves it!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:06 AM on May. 12, 2011

• drop him in at a daycare on occassion so he gets a general idea of a "structured facility"
    plus it may introduce him to some kids he will go to school with.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 9:52 AM on May. 12, 2011

• daycare, Mothers Day Out, If your library has "reading time" that would be good.
    Play school at home. see if he can sit on the floor while you read a book. Spend time doing 1 task (painting. coloring.) so he learns to play in his area until time. Teach him school rules.. learn songs & dances with him.
    Enjoy getting him excited about school. Get books about school & there is a leapfrog dvd about going to school that is good.

It depends on the kid. my dd is 4.5 with a late bday so she will be a year "late" going to Kindergarten but shed go right now, no questions asks. But I know of a kid that didnt start school till 1st grade because she couldnt handle it..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:25 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My dd entered pre-k this yr and LOVES it! We spent time reading bookd from the library like "Francis Goes to School" - there are a lot like that. We watched some videos that were also similar. She also went to Vacation Bible School for 1 week, just a few hrs a day over the summer and I think all of those things helped. Plus the school was good about easing them in by having the teachers visit our home and starting them out with just a few hrs a day.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 10:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i take my four year old to the library to circle story time.. he is mildly autistic and i just don't trust preschool .
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:49 AM on May. 12, 2011

• You can start by taking them to book reading events like barnes nobles or library. Ask the daycare he will be attending if he can come by with you for 30 minues or so once a week until he is used to the children. I own a child care facility and I know first hand this can be over whelming for your child. Parks are also a great place.
    Esam

Answer by Esam at 4:54 PM on May. 12, 2011