How do i stop a five yr olds tantrums ?

I have a five yr old son. He throws a tantrum when i tell him to do something. Then he throws a tantrum before school every morning ? This begun about 3 wks ago. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

Christy540

Asked by Christy540 at 9:49 AM on May. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Ignore it and it will stop. If you play into it it'll get worse. My 4 year old used to get upset, jump up and down, scream as loud as he could and then find a wall nearby to bang his head on ( in that order all at once!!) I would either turn up the TV, or step over him and walk into another room. I just acted like it wan't even happening. Now he's a great kid. We saw a kid throwing a tantrum in the store and I said "you used to do that" and he didn't even remember it...lol I think it's just a phase they go through.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 10:03 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I know when my son starts throwing fits out of the blue it's usually because he doesn't feel good. Maybe your Son has Seasonal allergies? They started here about 3 weeks ago. It may also be a growth spurt. I would let him ride another week & just ignore the fits & see what happens. Lately my Son has been super grouchy too because of allergies. He's just like me, when I don't feel good, I'm a grouch too! LOL! GL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It helps when you stay really calm and quiet, most times I think they are just tired. You can try to get them involved in an activity like play-doh or painting or exersizing. It's normal, just be patient!
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 10:43 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My DD throws the biggest tantrum whenever I tell her no...I keep telling her that's not how you get your way..and then I ignore her...which can be hard when we are in a store...I am hoping it's just a phaze...other then not giving in or paying attention to the behavior I don't know what to do.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

• A good a** busting goes a long way!
    SonyaNaomi

Answer by SonyaNaomi at 5:11 PM on May. 12, 2011

• While I agree with some of the other moms, I have to add... What happened 3 weeks ago.. Kids usually don't just start having tantrums at his age. Is something going on in school you may not be aware of ?? Did something change at home?? I ask because these just started and he did not have them before..

I would think different if he always had them but just based on your post, they just started....So I would think something is bothering him..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:19 PM on May. 12, 2011

• He does it because he thinks it will work, and sometimes he may even feel out of control. Remain calm and act as though it is not a tantrum. He will think that it's weird that you are not responding the way you used to, and he will then have no choice but to change to mirror you to get results. I'd tickle my Son sometimes and say yooou caannn't geeeeett meeeee and run. It got him out of the mood. After a point in time he didn't do that any more. All we are really doing is helping him develop that part of the brain. He will grow out of it, but you can have immediate results, too. My Son used to do this when he was 5, too, now he is 7 years of age and is a pure joy.
    It's really easy to change a child's mood because they are so impressionable at this tender age. It's the cranky adults I have a problem with. Lol!
    Avitar

Answer by Avitar at 8:45 PM on May. 12, 2011