Debating The Trinity- Did the Christians adopt the idea of a Triune God?

I found this article very interesting and thought we could debate/discuss what is contained in it:

http://www.heraldmag.org/literature/doc_42.htm

Let's all play nice...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:50 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• So much of modern religions have been borrowed from ancient religions and mythologies that I'm not at all surprised to see the connections made in the article. It's all very interesting, but not at all surprising.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:21 PM on May. 12, 2011

• "Play nice" gave me a giggle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'm not denying there are other triune gods in other religions, but I can't just say that the Christian Trinity comes from pagan roots. I need to do a lot more reading and studying....of both Christian and non-Christian sources...before I can either fully accept or deny that idea.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 10:32 AM on May. 12, 2011

• The concept of the Trinity (3 manifestations of the same God) as Christians believe it may be somewhat unique to Christianity (though I think there are few other examples of trinities in other religions: Ayyavazhi or the Saha Realm for example). The idea of a Triad (or other forms of triple deities--often representing life-death-rebirth, various stages of life or father-mother-child) is quite common in pre-Christian beliefs, various pagan beliefs and some eastern religions. There are dozens of examples of triple deities. In Christianity, the Trinity may have really been a Triad in the early beliefs where the Holy Spirit is what survived of the idea of a goddess (Yahweh's wife Asherah or Sophia in Greek). There was an interesting post about Asherah on here a while back (maybe in the R&B section?).
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:34 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I dont feel I know enough as a "new" Christian to debate this.
    Until about 6mo ago I never understood the Trinity..
    Me, my dh, & some in his family (who all grew up in church- but i did not) didnt know too much about the Trinity either somehow. My hubby has easily accepted it.
    For me its "ehh"... I dont plan on "getting it perfect" when it comes to religion.
    I dont think it is by mistake we have many religions & beliefs. and its hard to believe any loving God I believe in will punish those that didnt "pass the test" ...
    Maybe Im foolish, but thats OK.
    (sorry i dont have anything big to say about the actual article lol.)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:18 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Pretty much what Pam said- and I believe that the concept of God takes many forms yet points back to a similar set of values or truths-
    I also like that you used adopt rather than stolen-
    I will check back to see how the convo evolves but for now thats about all I have-
    Oh except the article made my head hurt-great points, great question just a little to wordy for my brain this am-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:42 AM on May. 12, 2011

• The Hindu trinity of Brahma (the creator) Vishnu (the preserver) and Shiva (the destroyer) have been around for well over 6,000 years. They have found evidence of Hinduism as far back as 10,000 years in the Indus Valley. The Hindu trinity is the oldest. Yes, they believe they are all aspects of the one true god.

Many Hindu's compare their trinity to that of Christians (which pisses Christians off) Brahma is the heavenly father, the Holy spirit is the Vishnu the preserver & Jesus = Shiva the destroyer (because he's supposed to come back & kick ass). Shiva is also known for having demons as followers. Not because Shiva is a demon, or behaves like one....but because Shiva does not discriminate....much like Jesus. Jesus will forgive & love anyone to accepts him as their "guru".

This is all just Hindu talk.....not all believe this but this has been brought up many times in discussions about the trinity.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:57 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I'm curious about the answers as well. I read the article, and it was very well written and researched.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• @Esam .... the term "trinity" is not mentioned in the Bible, but the concept is throughout both old and new testaments. HERE's a good explanation.

-Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 5:57 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Well, that goes for ME as well. It's hard but not unattainable.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 10:13 AM on May. 12, 2011