My 9 year old already knows about sex!

There is one bad apple in my sons class. my son told me about the lies this kid has told. This does raise my concern that my son is partaking in conversations like this. So, I gave him a very basic definition of sex between married people to create children. ANd I learn today that this kid in his class got into trouble for talking about mutilating female genitals and "hardcore sex talk". This is driving me crazy. I dont know what my next step should be, Do I contact the teacher?? Was it appropriate for me to forbid my son to be around this kid?? I dont know what to do!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would contact the teacher. There may be something going on in the home of the other student and its leaking over into school life. You never know you might just be the concerned parent who helps a kid whose crying for help.

Answer by gemgem at 5:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Bring it to the attention of the school administration. The principal to start. That student should be suspended for that behavior, immediately! That is completely unacceptable and a telling a teacher does no good. The teacher will not tell for risking getting in trouble for not handling it personally and letting it go. Make them be accountable.
    Anonymous

• I would have a word with the teacher about this child ,sounds like there is some form of neglect at home if this kid knows stuff like this .
    loulou332

Answer by loulou332 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would talk to the teacher.

But really, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Most kids know about sex at that age or earlier.

And the creepy stuff about mutilating female genitalia, well I personally remember around 9 or 10 having a neighbor kid who said stuff like that. I realized that he was full of BS, and so did my 7 yr old brother. Most kids are impressionable, but when its one weird kid telling them that stuff, they know it isn't right.
    Anonymous

• That kid is probably in a neglected or abused situation so yeah you should call the school and tell them what he has said to your son .And not to get him punished to get him help!
    Anonymous

• Yes contact the school about this,though I don't know what their reaction or solution would be.
    They should be aware of this child's behavior and what he is saying at school.Children today are bombarded with sex everywhere and without guidance to understand it all they will think that it's just the way life is and to deal with it in an unsafe manner.My nephew has always lived with us and I've been like a second Mom to him.He's 14 now and is very curious about sexual things. I answer him the way my Mom answered us and that's openly and honestly.Don't ever say I don't know to your son.Keep the connection open and let him know that you're proud that he comes to you for answers and not the boy at school!
    bamamommy

Answer by bamamommy at 10:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Deffinitely talk to the teacher. Children should not be introduced to sex in that manner, it should be done in a loving way. I hope you can repair the damage that this kid has done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• This is why more and more people are homeschooling their children.If I had the money I would have my kids home schooled too.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2008

• **UPDATE** My son and I sat down and talked about this, he knows that this kid has something wrong with him and does not want to be around him anymore. I have emailed both the teacher and the vice-principal. I will see where that takes things. I am VERY upset/angry and annoyed that I had to give my son the "sex talk" before I felt the need to. At least he came to me with this situation though, I am glad he talks to me about things. How on earth do we keep the kids innocent these days? I am disheartened because I tried so very hard...
    Anonymous

• I DO NOT THINK there is any age to early to learn about sex and your body! Lets think about rape!!! I have 2 daughters that are 4 & 2. and I have already started talking about it with them!! I was 10 when I was raped and molested, and my sister was 5!! DO NOT THINK "It won't happen to me" the person who did this to me and my sister was a family friend!!! So to me telling your son who is 9 about sex, and when it is appropriate to do so,is a good thing. kids are doing things younger and younger, and I do think that their may be more than just a bad apple here, there may be "bad" things happening to him outside of school.

naillady1607

Answer by naillady1607 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 7, 2008