Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

What will happen??

My step-sons mother just had children services called on her. She was arrested for a DUI and drug poss. My husband took his son and he has been staying with us for 2 weeks now. We had an understanding with my SS mom that we will keep him until she gets her life in order. But yesterday we find out from her that someone called CS on her and they wanna speak with my stepson. Im just wondering, will they wanna speak with my husband and I? And come to our home? And if CS says he has to stay with us because she is un fit, will it be forever or just temporary? She has full costody right now, my husband has none.

Answer Question

Asked by NewMommy0414 at 9:51 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 8 (241 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • child custody would have to be changed by the courts, i'd think..and probably not too hard to get, in this situation, unless CPS finds nothing amiss. (you never know what will cause them to render certain 'verdicts')
    they might want to talk to you/dh, but talking to your ss is a definite. they always talk to the children involved, living in the home of the reported. i don't know where they will least you know about it.
    my sis had a report done, and CPS came to the children's school and talked to all four kids, without her or her dh knowing beforehand.
    (the dh's ex called CPS, trying to stir up crap..y'know how bitter exes can be.) although nothing was found to warrant any further investigation, of course, the report was still a report.

    Answer by dullscissors at 9:56 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • Does it really matter? I mean if mom is this messed up, isn't what is best for the boy all that matters? If he winds up with you full time...well, he is his fathers child...there is responsibility there. You knew he existed going in did you not?

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • TO: Anon, The OP is simply asking questions here, no need to lash out at her. Geez... WE do not know ALL the details!!! Remember that! OP, I hope you get the info that you really need, I will bump you!

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:14 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • CPS will want to talk to u , ur dh, and ss. If bio mom is deemed unfit your dh will most likely get custody and from my experience our lawyer told us when my dh got custody of his kids that custody is a "living breathing thing" that even though he has it she can always take him to court to try to get it back eventhough there is no way she will win because she would have to prove why living with her would magically be a better situation for the kids her proving it would be the same wouldnt be good enough. So basically it would only be temporary if your dh wanted it that way

    Answer by Genice6 at 11:17 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • I would hope that you and your husband would want to give this boy a good life. If that means you guys raising him, than you will raise him. He is a child he innocent.

    Answer by gammie at 11:22 AM on May. 12, 2011

  • Well i didnt ask this question because i dont want him full time. I love my step-son as if i had him myself. Im simply wondering what Cs will do ? I hope we do get him full time. His mother is not a good mom he loves being here with us. I also have a 2year old daughter and he loves that he lives with his sister now. All i was wondering was what they would do regarding my husband and I, questions? search our home? stuff like that. I never had to deal with anything like this so i didnt know what would happen. And if she could ever try to get him back from us once she gets her life together. Yesterday she called me and said a caseworker was at her house (she is on house arrest) and wanted me to bring SS to her. He wouldnt go, he cried and said he didnt wanna see her that he dont miss her. So im sure that didnt look to good for her. And will we need to hire a lawyer?

    Comment by NewMommy0414 (original poster) at 12:14 PM on May. 12, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.