Wits end! Sorry, kind of long.

I could use some input here ladies. We live in a neighborhood that is...well let's just say, past its prime. I did not grow up in an urban setting. I grew up in the burbs, upper middle class and basically in a bubble compared to most. My DH is from the country and I lived in the country for 16 yrs and raised my first 3 kids there surrounded by corn fields. Now divorced and with new aforementioned DH we find ourselves transplanted in what I term the ghetto. We cannot afford to move right now. We own our home. It is inexpensive to live where we do...but Lord, the people we are surrounded by UGH. Anyway, to make a short story long, about 4 days ago two kids showed up in our back yard. One is quite older than my boys ages 4 and 5. One a little girl (his sister) is younger than my youngest. They apparently come from quite far down the street. Anyway, they walk right in the yard, play on the play set while my boys are forced to sit on the porch and watch as they monopolize the swings etc. Jump on the trampoline, and it is only a matter of time before our pool is open then heaven only knows what. My son comes in and tells me the older boy is jumping out of the windows of the play house which is raised off the ground about 8-10 feet. He pushes, he is rough. So finally 2 days ago I sent them home. In half hour they were back, I sent them home again telling them they are not allowed down to our house...they come back every day. The parents don't know us, don't care that their kids are running the streets...I don't know what to do to get these kids to leave and not come back. Someone is going to get hurt and then I am going to be pissed. What should I do? I get nowhere with the mother. She looks at me like I'm an idiot. Oh, and we have an abandoned house next to ours. My boys tell me they go in there. The floors are rotten. We try to get the city to do something about it but they won't. One of those kids is going to fall out a window or thru a floor to their death. Granted, they are not my responsibility, but I cannot know they are messing with that house and let it go and then have something terrible happen.

salexander

Asked by salexander at 9:58 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• put up a fence or keep telling them to leave, about the abandoned house there is really nothing you can do about it
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:03 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think you need a fence if you don't already have one. Is there a law where you live requiring a fence around pools? There are here in Missouri. You sure don't want to be responsible if one of those children get hurt on your property. The Mom may look at you like an idiot now, but if they get hurt at your house, she may look at you like a paycheck. Good Luck!
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 10:05 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We have a fence. Even if it is locked they climb it. I will go out back and poof, there they are. Of course we have a fence with a pool and a removable ladder as well. I have home owners ins...that is not the point. The question is, how do I get them to understand they are not allowed down here? They don't get the message no matter how many times I run them off.
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 10:09 AM on May. 12, 2011

• either put up a fence or lock the gate on the fence you have and get some privacy slats at the hardware store.......if the kids keep coming back and the mother wont controll them call cps....(normal i wouldnt tell people that but since you have approached the mom and she doenst seem to care, these kids might need someone who does)......as for the abandoned house report it as a hazard to the city code inforcement then they will have to do something.....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:10 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Hmmm sounds like you have a problem. I'd say just call the cops the next time you see them in the abandoned house or in your yard without permission, but then you have to worry about retaliation. Is your yard fenced, if so I would put a lock on the fence gate. If the neighborhood is bad I would be uncomfortable leaving my kids in a yard that wasnt fenced. When the kids come tell them they need to go home. I then with your husband go the parents and let them know that there children are entering your yard without permission and you would rather they did not. This way if you do contact the police you have given them fair warning. When the cops go to there house the mother can look at the police "like an idiot" and try to explain why she is allowing her kids free reign of the neighborhood. Good Luck!!!!
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:11 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you cant afford a fence then call the police. Plain and simple. The kids are trespassing and unsupervised. You have asked them not to come onto your property, and have also told their parent and they are not listening. I would go buy a little no trespassing sign, tie it to the area entering your backyard and when you see them again call the police. Tell them how unsupervised they are, that you have asked them not to come onto your property, and you are worried about their safety since it is obvious they are being neglected.

Answer by gemgem at 10:11 AM on May. 12, 2011

• You need to call the police each & every time it happens. Maybe the parents will care when the police bring them home.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:18 AM on May. 12, 2011