Is peanut butter healthy?

I eat PB everyday. I have it with bananas, apples, and sometimes I just stick a spoon in and help myself to a big ole heap of it. I eat JIF reduced fat and it is my snack of choice. Sometimes I eat it as my meal. Anyway, I am in the process of losing my baby fat and I am also breastfeeding my 13 wk old ds. Is this a healthy snack choice? If not, what is a good alternative?

I have always thought of PB as healthy although I know it is not a low-cal food.

wendydays

Asked by wendydays at 10:22 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It actually is very healthy. It's loaded with omega fatty acids, which is good for your heart, joints, immunity & brain. Yes, PB is high in fat....but it's GOOD fat. Believe it or not, but fat is a necessary part of our diet. The problem is, too many people eat unhealthy fats. if everyone watched what they ate & only ate healthy fats vs unhealthy fats, we would not be such an obese nation.

here is a link better explaining what i tried to.

http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_diet_fats.htm
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:27 AM on May. 12, 2011

• It's high in protein, protein, vitamins B3 and E, magnesium, folate, dietary fiber. It does have high levels of monounsaturated fats and resveratrol, which some might say is bad for dieting, but it is good to help prevent cardiovascular disease.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:25 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it's GOOD stuff way outweighs it's BAD stuff! Apples and PB is AWESOME !!!! Yum
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:35 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Just a little bit isn't that bad, big portions all the time aren't very healthy.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:23 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes and no...it is a very high fat way to get protein, but the fats are "healthy fats". I probably wouldn't have it every day though.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:58 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes, it's high in protein and some vitamins but most commercial PBs are also loaded with sugar, salt, hydgrogenated oils and preservatives which definitely make it unhealthy. Some natural/organic brands are strictly peanuts and salt, which is a better option. I gave up PB years ago (the mold content of peanuts/PBs can be very high) in favor of almond butter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 12, 2011

• glad to hear this.. my youngest is 8 weeks old and nursing, and I crave it like crazy too. i now feel much less guilty.
    Sofiabug

Answer by Sofiabug at 10:39 AM on May. 12, 2011

• You can buy a natural peanut butter that doesn't have all the bad stuff in it. My ex wouldn't eat regular, but we bought the all natural instead. It would separate, so you had to stir it before using but the taste wasn't that different. I love peanut butter too, but if I were eating a lot of it and trying to lose weight, I would go with the all natural!

Answer by missanc at 10:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• In moderation it's fine :)
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 11:01 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes & no. But honestly, I'd trade the reduced fat for real, natural stuff - reduced fat pb is a spread, there are other things added to it that make it not a full, true pb. You'd be better off eating "full fat", but less of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on May. 12, 2011