Family Relationships

Among your parents and siblings do you find that most families prefer to keep conversations/interactions light? I am finding that my family, who I always thought were very close, seem to want to keep our conversations very light and non-intimate. I mean chat about work, the weather, tv etc but nothing "important" like the kids, health, issues in their personal lives good or bad. I feel like by doing this I am being phony and the relationships feel kind of fake. i am wondering if other people out there have similar relationships with their families and how they feel about it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• After a falling out everyone had over money (imagine that) the conversation was like that. Now we barely speak. The whole family is on the outs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My whole family talks and gossips about one another, I moved from Texas 2 yeras ago where my ENTIRE family lives and now I am in Mexico and I feel so much better without the gossip
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 10:44 AM on May. 12, 2011

• no in our family we talk about all of those things you mentioned..the only time our conversations are cut and dry like you were talking about is when there is some type of drama but we stick together and try to keep that to a minimum
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 10:45 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We talk about everything in our family, whether it's together or behind their backs, it's shame cause some things you just want to tell one person your close to but they tell the next person and that's on my mother and fathers side...smh
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 10:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• When we are together as a whole group the conversations are light - weather, work, tv, etc. But if we are alone, such as if dh and I are with one of my brothers and his wife, then things get more personal. We also know that whatever we share will make its way around the family so everyone can pray for each other if we are having problems. I think we keep big gatherings light because they are usually for birthdays or holidays so if something is going on, we don't want to make the day depressing. But we also know that we can share things in confidence and it stays within our family boundaries.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I have family members that I am not close to, don't know very well or I don't like so when I talk with them I keep things light, and chat about basic things... nothing personal. I do have a few family members (like sis and 1 Uncle) that I am close to and I can talk about anything with them. My late Grandma knew all my 'secrets' she was my confidante I really enjoyed being able to talk to her about anything and she was open and honest with me. I really miss her.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think you shouldn't get into things like that with family who has different opinions on things that you do. Especially politics, money etc. It just creates hard feelings in the long run.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:05 AM on May. 12, 2011

• YES YES I undersatand YOU What ever its is your situation Always THINK THINK and have a
    ~
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    ¸.•´ (¸.•´ * Happy Tuesday !!
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:28 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Maybe they feel like they are burdening you if they talk about that stuff. Do you get really intense about those issues? I know my DH doesn't often talk about issues with his family because he doesn't want his Mom to worry about him/us. She always jumps to the wrong conclusion. For example, he loaded up a bunch of scrap metal that was junking up the barn at our old house. It was stuff like old fencing, tire rims, and random stuff that the previous owners had left. When he told him Mom, she immediately jumped to the conclusion that we were in some sort of financial crisis and offered us money to fix the "problem." He just laughed and said "No Mom, we just don't want our yard looking junky," but it made him not want to tell her stuff.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 12:53 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes. You must have a facebook, no? This is when I lost a lot of respect for friends & family. I used to have a great relationship w/them and I'm sure the feeling is mutual when I say it feels fake but I haven't changed. When we're together it has to be a photo op for FB, or they buy brand new outfits & shoes just to come to Thanksgiving dinner. They won't stop by and visit w/o having something like a new vehicle or 5th wheel or toy trailer plus toys. When they're texting they will ignore me when I ask a question and I have to wait til they're done for them to answer. My life only consists of a couple close friends now. My mom and my little family. And I couldn't be happier:)

805doll

Answer by 805doll at 10:16 PM on May. 12, 2011