My Son is 9 and keep's running around saying he's going to be a Janitor,

My Son started saying this after they started letting him help around the classroom, I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be a janitor, I just wish they would encourage him with other thing's, All of the teacher's talk about how smart and artistic he is , Couldn't they encourage him in something like this , They do actually pay someone who is a janitor to do those thing's,Should I ask them to stop letting him be so helpful and to encourage him in other area's? Or do I sound like a real B****?

friedblond

Asked by friedblond at 11:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Then encourage him to be the best doggone Janitor he can be. Then when he changes is mind and wants to be a Fireman (or whatever) encourage him to be the best there too. No matter what he wants, just tell him to strive to be the best at whatever he chooses to do. If you believe in him he will do just that, be the best at what he ends up choosing to do.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• Hun he is 9 years old, what he wants to be when he grows up is going to change 100 times, my husband wanted to be a trash truck driver when he was little and he has nothing to do with that now. I simply think he is going through a phase and I am confident that you as his parent will help him when he gets older to send him off to college to better himself. Their is nothing wrong with being a janitor either. I respect those type of people the most for doing those kinds of jobs.
    JustinScottsMom

Answer by JustinScottsMom at 11:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• If you say it the right way you won't come off B*tchy. Just explain it to his teacher. I bet if you aks her for advice she'll get the hint and stop having him pick up so much. I doubt she knows about his new career plans!
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Let him. And take advantage of it... make him the janitor at home too. I bet the "glamour" rubs off pretty quick.

Once he changes his mind, help him explore other jobs. Ask him what other jobs he would like to explore. Help him out by finding someone in that job he can talk too, books at the library about it that he can read.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• His teachers probably don't have a lot of one-on-one time with him with the other students they have.
    Let him be a janitor at home. Nothing wrong with taking care of business. At least he's not a litter bug.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• let him clean up after the things he does in school it will teach him good habbits to clean up when he makes a mess - this will start to reflect on how he cleans up after himself at home too.
    my dd is going on 3 and she loves to fold the laundry cause she helps do it at daycare with the wash cloths and she cleans up after herself at daycare - some days she comes home saying how she was a chair stacker for the day.
    i was saying i wanted to be a professional cow girl when i was 9 and talking about how i would never have kids and have 100 cats and tons of horses - so my parents got me a cowgirl outfit - not a big deal - parents are supposed to encourage all the dreams kids have not shoot them down cause they are rediculous!
    chill out relax he wont remember this unless you tell him when he is older.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:11 PM on Jul. 11, 2008

• He is being helpful that is never something to discourage. At this age you shouldn't be worried about what he says he is going to be when he grows up, it is still just play. Encorage him in all he does whether it is cleaning up, art or figuring out what is wrong with the computer. When he says he wants to be a janitor just say "you can be anything you want to be" so he knows that he can change his mind 100 times & no matter what you will love & support him.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• Encourage him in whatever his current aspirations are. It's funny because right now my 6 yr old wants to also be a janitor (loves the special mop the one at his school had), a carpenter & an artist. My 9 yr old wants to be a baby sitter (He wants us to have another), an astronaut and a teacher. It's always changing.
    cappyd

Answer by cappyd at 9:13 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I say just let him enjoy helping the janitor, he's only 9, he'll change his mind many many times! My dad used to get so mad at my brother when he was like 6 he always wanted to be a garbage man! He thought it was so cool how they got to ride on the side of the truck!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 3:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2008