Rummages

What do you do when you are trying to get rid of old toys that the kids never play with and then all of the sudden it is their "FAVORITE!!!!!"??? I usually clean out bedrooms when they aren't around and they never miss stuff, but we are having a rummage tomorrow and they see their old stuff out on the tables in the garage and are having shitfits that I am selling it.

aaf237

Asked by aaf237 at 10:47 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yeah, that is why my basement is FULL of so much stuff!!! My dd can't get rid of anything. I would feel so mean to just get rid of it anyway, like dh says. It has helped her a bit to give her the money for anything of hers that I sell. But then she just wants to buy more stuff......it's never ending!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i don't bother with doing my own sales. i take them and drop them off at different churches that do giveaways. but you could always send them off to a family members for the day. or see if someone will babysit them for you. that's the only thing i can think of. oh i just thought of one more. tell them they have a choice, either they can keep the ones they play with all the time and let these ones go or they can keep the ones they don't play with and get rid of the ones they do. tell them either way some of the toys are gone. my middle girl threw a fit and i ended up taking all her toys for afew days. after that she was happy to give some up. good luck with it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:06 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Well depends on the age of the kids.
    My son is 8 and he had so many toys in his room there was no more room for him anymore. so we sat down and I said we are getting rid of this stuff so together we sat down and organized everything into little baggies and I gave him a small box and I had a small box I told him he could keep whatever would fit into the box and nothing more because christmas was coming soon and he was going to get lots of new stuff. He was hesitant at first but we filled up our boxes I put the things that were his but special to ME in my box and he kept rotating things out until he was satisfied with what he had and then the rest we gave to a friend.
    We basically gave him the choice he could pick out what he wanted to keep or we could just get rid of everything and you want to know something he enjoys his room MUCH MORE since he actually has space to play in!
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 11:22 AM on May. 12, 2011