When you went to school....

When you went to school did your parents express how important these years where. That it was the foundation to the rest of your life & how you did in these first 18yrs or would heavily effect you in adulthood?

If so, did it make a difference? Did you try harder & be more focused? Or was it just hot air?

If your parents didnt try to push education & let you know how important it was, do you feel it effected you. If they would have said more do you think you would have done better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Education was always very important... sometimes too important (in classic immigrant style). From really early on, our eyes were on college AND grad-school. I definitely have to give my parents credit for making sure we lived in good school districts and providing us all the support they could so we could get a good education. It worked. Both my brother and I have done pretty well. BUT I wish they placed less emphasis on achievement and more on overall growth and happiness. We couldn't do anything that if our parents didn't think it would help us academically - soccer, ballet, piano, etc. were pointless in their opinions. Maybe it's no coincidence that a lot of the parenting books I've read are about how playing is so important. :)
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• They did try to encourage it as much as possible, but as a teenager, I basically did everything I was told not to do, and didn't do anything i was told I had to. I excelled in the classes I loved and didn't apply myself to those that didn't interest me. I regret that, but I did graduate with exceptional grades, but I know they could have been better had I listened more to mom and dad.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 11:24 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i done great all through school..my mom always told me to be a sponge and learn as much as possible everyday..then in highschool she always told me those were the best days of my life not to rush them..but by the time college came around i was so burnt out that i dropped out after the first yr..im sure my parents wish i had of went farther than i did but you eventually have to take a break
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My mom was single and stressed out. She didn't do all that she probably should have to encourage and oversee our education. I did okay in school, but I could have done better if she'd been more involved I think. College came and the only way I could go to college was to work and put myself through school, so I took it very seriously and did quite well. So...either way...I have to thank my mom.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• My parents emphasized education a lot, but they made lots of time and financial sacrifices for me and my brother in order for us to have opportunities they didn't have. Both of them grew up in small towns in the 1940s and 50's and were part of the first generation of their families to go to college. They then both went to graduate school and found that high school and college hadn't prepared them for demanding professional educations. Although they both were successful with this (they studied very hard) they wanted us to have more rigorous preparatory schooling. We knew they wanted a better experience and future for us and I guess my brother and I were goody-goody enough that we tried to not disappoint them. I hope my daughter will be the same way.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:32 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I don't remember whether education was that important to either one of my parents. I loved school and excelled. I graduated high school with honors. Unfortunately, I had to get out on my own to keep some sanity. My father was an abusive, violent alcoholic and gambler. My parents fought a lot. They never encouraged me or offered to help me go to college. I was working in a drugstore, living on my own, and just trying to survive. I didn't even get a license until I was 35, married, with 4 kids. Had they encouraged me and pointed me in the right direction, I would have attended college. I always wanted to be a teacher. I was lucky enough to come close; I became a Teaching Assistant. I thought about going back to school, but really never got encouragement and support from my husband either. My 3 sons graduated from college, but my daughter quit after a semester and it breaks my heart that she is 23 with no degree.
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 12:41 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I call my parents "hippy parents"... They wanted my growing up years (under 18) to be full of fun & memories. They gave $ for me to do whatever & I was pretty free to do what i wanted as long as I stayed out of trouble. As long as I passed school they had no complains & the biggest thing was just to graduate. Getting across that stage is all that mattered.

I wish they would have told me to take school more serious. Get involved in extra-curricular activities. Learn & grow academically..
    I feel I would have done SO MUCH more if I was told education was #1.. I could have gotten A's.. I could have been in the advanced classes..
    But I thought my B+, A-, some C+ was good enough even though I felt I wasnt learning much..
    I was young & thought making the grades was good enough & my parents were satisfied. Must be good enough.
    :(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:29 AM on May. 12, 2011

• i had a very healthy balance about school but i always struggled in school so i was told i had to do my best but i never excelled it never interest me. i barely got out of high school and college the first tim ei lost interest and then i went to work full time and i realized after having my daughter i had to finish my education to give her any sort of a good life. i am a single mother and i want the best for her so i went back to school and i am ddoing the best i ever did in my life because i want to not because i was forced to.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:53 PM on May. 12, 2011