How do you tell and almost 3 year old they they can't eat or drink?

my nephew has to go tuesday and have a mri done well they have to put him to sleep so he doesn't move around and stuff. Well his bedtime is at 7 or 8. They said he can't eat or drink milk or anything after 4am and he can't drink any liquids after after 10. His appointment is at 1045. First off liquids is anything like water and koolaid or tea isn't it? Well she was thinking of waking him at 3 to feed him before 4 so he wasn't starving because they said to expect to be there for at least 3 hours. So he isn't going to eat from bedtime until probably 2pm. The thing is if she wakes him he thinks he will be up the rest of the morning and wont go back to bed. And she doesn't get home from work until 11 so she will be tired. She tried today just to see what he would do to prepare for tuesday, but she said he started throwing a fit wanting to eat and she said she doesn't know how he is gong to do it Tuesday. How do you tell a 3 year old he can't eat breakfast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Make sure she also does not eat breakfast. It's not fair for him to watch her eat and not be able to himself.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:26 AM on May. 12, 2011

• She should plan something fun for them to do in the morning to keep his mind off food. Maybe go to the park or story time at the library.

Also instead of waking him up to feed him in the middle of the night, she should keep him awake later that night and feed him before bedtime. That way, he might sleep in.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:30 AM on May. 12, 2011

• You just tell them and explain why it's important in terms that a 3 yr old can relate to. No other way around it. They may not like it of course, but what can you do. Let him know he can eat and drink as soon as he's done with the procedure And of course, no one should eat or drink in front of him. I've had to go in for stuff like that and had to deal with the office staff eating right in front of me, it's awful. Just mentioning that, it does happen so maybe someone can go along and stay outside with him until the last minute.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 11:31 AM on May. 12, 2011

• she was thinking about keeping him awake to do that, but the thing is he wakes at 730 every morning. She said that even if he doesn't go to bed until midnight he will still get up early. I do know that because he has stayed her a couple times and he wouldn't fall asleep until 1130 and got up at 630 or 7
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:37 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think I would just not feed him in the morning, but put him to bed at a regular time that way she isn't dealing with a kid who is hungry AND tired. Just explain to him that he has to go to the doctor and that his tummy has to be empty so the doctor can see what he needs to see. Maybe tell him how he will get a special treat when it is all over or that he can have anything he wants to eat afterward like a Happy Meal or ice cream or something to give him something to look forward to. Then distract as much as possible the morning of. If he can have liquids until 10:00 then I would give him so water or juice in the morning and that will help fill his tummy up a bit.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 11:44 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Have her ask about broth or soup juice. If ok, get one of those bowls with a straw or give him a straw and tell him he gets to drink his soup. Make it fun.
    What about breakfast drinks?
    I have a 3 year old and can't imagine trying to explain why he can eat. He hates the Dr. and if I told him he couldn't eat because of the Dr. it would only make it worse.

Let him pick out a new cup to drink with that morning since that's all he can do.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 12:40 PM on May. 12, 2011

• If they let him have juice, you can freeze some into popsicles and tell him that we're having popsicles for breakfast! I don't know... hunger is a hard thing to ignore. I agree with the idea of filling him up before bed, but putting him to bed at the normal time so he's well rested at least. Any chance he might sleep in if he gets to snuggle with mom? Good luck at the MRI!
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:15 PM on May. 12, 2011