How do you know if your son has a UTI?

and what can you do for it besides taking him to the doctor?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 11:31 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Possible signs of a urinary tract infection
    •A burning sensation when you urinate
    •Feeling like you need to urinate more often than usual
    •Feeling the urge to urinate but not being able to
    •Leaking a little urine
    •Cloudy, dark, smelly or bloody urine
    proudmom12304

Answer by proudmom12304 at 11:36 AM on May. 12, 2011

• What proudmom12304 said and i don't know his age but that AZO cranberry stuff helps with the pain and definitely keep him well hydrated but if his symptoms persist or get worse he may need to go to the dr for an antibiotic. GL
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 11:45 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I learned with my son who is potty trained but doesn't really have words to express himself that if he starts having a couple accidents a day like MAJOR accidents that he has one.. It SUCKS I think he may have to have surgery on his pete to make his pee hole larger because it has been frequent since he has potty trained. Like I asked him if it hurt and he would say ya take me to the doctor. and when he asks to go to the doctor... you know its bad. but he would literally wait to the last second to pee becaus eit hurt so bad to pee and then he would urinate EVERYWHERE because he had such a full bladder :( poor little guy...
    Kelly_Ann

Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:43 AM on May. 12, 2011

• UTIs are more common in girls than in boys, but boys can sometimes get them too. Generally symptoms include feeling like you have to go but only producing a couple drops, pain and burning while urinating, pus or blood in the urine, and accidents for kids who are potty trained and no longer having accidents. If it progresses to the kidneys, you would also be seeing fever and feeling really terrible (I've had a couple kidney infection- felt like I had been hit by a truck!) The best way to know for sure is to get a sterile urine sample and have it analyzed- that will also help pinpoint what antibiotic will work. You can try cranberry juice, unsweetened citrus juice, and there are some over the counter products meant to relieve symptoms, but my experience is that they do tend to require an antibiotic. Hope he feels better soon!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:17 PM on May. 12, 2011