My 13 y/o DS still wets the bed.

Anyone out there dealing with this as well? Have you tried medications? What solutions can you suggest? I think it's time for a urologist. We do the cut off drinking in eve, no milk or soda late in the day, go pee before bed...etc...

sneakyboo

Asked by sneakyboo at 11:36 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• At 13 bladders are still developing and it's not as uncommon as you think. Get a plastic cover for the mattress, don't make a big deal or get angry when it happens and if its more often than not there are overnights available that will fit a 13 year old. I found when I get angry my children will hide the pee soaked items instead of telling me. Kind of gross when your out at work all day and come home to a awful stench hitting you when you walk in the door.

You may get a bit of resistance with the overnights at first, but its better than washing sheets a few times a week or replacing a urine soaked, stained, smelly mattress. Sad to say, but eventually children outgrow it. My 13 and 9 year old have bed wetting issues, but my 4 year old never does. Go figure!
    DeeMomOfFour

Answer by DeeMomOfFour at 9:42 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it was time for a urologist a LONG time ago... There may be a medical reason.
    CeeCee333

Answer by CeeCee333 at 11:43 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Definately make an appointment to see a Urologist asap. We struggle with this still with ODS but he is Diabetic and has been hoarding food increasing his sugar to dangerous levels. Is there a chance your chid has been doing lots of fighting or in a situation where his kidneys could have been damaged? Good luck.
    KyKosMommy

Answer by KyKosMommy at 12:18 PM on May. 12, 2011

• That was my question: are you sure it's urine and not semen?
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:05 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Plastic cover for the mattress, and he needs to be the one that is washing his sheets in the washing machine and making his bed back up. Don't make a big deal out of it. Yes, it is a pain the butt, but it isn't uncommon and it isn't something to be over stressing him about.

Cut back on liquids starting at dinner time. And absolutely no liquids after 7pm. Make sure he goes to the bathroom before he gets in bed and then when YOU go to bed, make him go to the bathroom again.

Boys more frequently wet the bed for longer periods of their childhood. Unless there are physical reasons such as the bladder stopping its growth to early, most boys stop wetting the bed around the time they hit puberty.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:46 AM on May. 13, 2011

• my sd started back wetting the bed at around 9 or 10..i took her to all kinds of drs..none of them could find anything wrong.finally taking her to a psychiatrist and a therapist it comes out that shes doing it on purpose bc shes not gettin everything she wants and bc she knows it makes me mad...have him evaluated by all the drs possible and go from there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on May. 12, 2011

• We HAVE been to MD many times and tried two different meds. They said Urologist is next step, but it isn't abnormal yet. He doesn't do it every night, but when he does...yuck! I'm gonna talk to MD about appt to see Urologist.
    sneakyboo

Comment by sneakyboo (original poster) at 11:58 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Some boys will occasionally wet the bed up until puberty is complete. Cut out all drinks after dinner. Limit what he has for dinner. See if that helps. And make 100% sure it is urine and that he's not having wet dreams.
    Anonymous

• What does your dr say?
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:36 PM on May. 12, 2011

• He needed to be seen by a urologist a long time ago. It doesn't matter that his regular doctor said it's not abnormal yet, because it is. He could have an underdeveloped bladder or overactive bladder and need treatment. Most kids outgrow wetting the bed way before 13 yrs old , unless there is something wrong.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:17 PM on May. 12, 2011