How do I deal with a adult stepdaughter who thinks everything should be about her?

Her father and I only see eachother on the weekend. SO we try to see her and her brother everyother weekend.
Sometimes we cant always do that. So she gets upset that her father dont talk to her or see her. Then when we do she is cold to me and sometimes doesn't like the way I am speaking or acting. But she doesn't tell me she tells'her faher the next day over the phone. So she is always puttinfg him in the middle. But no one sees her being obnoxious or rude.

donna5060

Asked by donna5060 at 11:39 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Ignore!

Answer by older at 11:41 AM on May. 12, 2011

• call her on her childish games..tell her to grow up and if she has issues with you to face you not hide behind her dad..maybe yall should all sit down and explain how the visitation is going to work
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I think it depends on her and your husband. I dont know how long you have been with him so it makes it hard for me to answer. If you are newly together she might think you are taking time she used to have with him away.

Answer by gemgem at 11:46 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Don't tell her do thing behind her dads back. Put her in the spot and bring things up in front of him.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:04 PM on May. 12, 2011

• She's a grown woman. She's not a child who needs her father on a daily or weekly basis. He needs his life as well and if he chooses to see his children every other weekend, then she should be accepting to it, unless she doesn't have a life of her own and only wants to cause drama to spice up her life. I wouldn't give her the satisfaction of knowing that she gets on my nerves. I would continue the schedule as it is and let her see for herself that her attitude doesn't bother me at all.
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:44 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Maybe she feels that since you see him EOW, he is suddenly unavailable to her because of you. And maybe she doesn't like the way you are speaking and acting.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• FIRST OF ALL HOW OLD IS THIS YOUNG LADY,AND SECOND YOU AND HER FATHER SHOULD SIT HER DOWN AND WITHOUT SUGAR COATING IT JUST LET HER KNOW THAT SHE ISN'T A LITTLE KID ANYMORE,THAT HOW SHE IS ACTING IS VERY UNBECOMING OF A YOUNG LADY,AND TELL HER THAT YOU ALL REFUSE TO ALLOW HER TO COME IN BETWEEN YOUR RELATIONSHIP.SO SHE CAN JUST STOP ACTING LIKE A 3YEAR OLD.AND IT,S NOT UP TO HER TO SAY HOW YOU SHOULD SPEAK OR ACT AFTER ALL YOU ARE THE ADULT AND THE STEPMOTHER.MAYBE SHE,S USED TO TELLING HER MOTHER HOW TO ACT AND SPEAK.AND IF THAT,S THE CASE HER MOTHER NEEDS TO [IN THE WORDS OF BARNEY FIFE JUST NIP IT IN THE BUD LOL
    MADUKES402

Answer by MADUKES402 at 9:53 AM on May. 13, 2011

• You sound like my grown kid's stepmom. She married my ex thinking he would not have much to do with the kids since they were grown. The house is full now of pictures of her child and her grandchlldren. Not one picture of the "other" family. When the grown kids go to visit them, she gets really drunk and hides in her room. She only comes out to yell at their dad. When my daughter was very, very ill and couldn't work or go to school for about 9 months, she lived with me. I asked for some financial help, money for daughter's food, share of utilities. Stepmom had a fit and was very selfish. So the next time one of the kids needs to live with their parents, they get to go to her house. Not mine. My husband, their stepdad, has had more than his share, now she needs to shoulder some of the baggage that her husband, my ex, brings into the marriage. Just be nice to her, act like a friend, she will like you.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 4:29 PM on May. 13, 2011

• I would make sure her dad sees her actions, otherwise it will be your word against hers. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:24 PM on May. 14, 2011