Why is my 4 yr. old acting like she is 2?

My 4 yr. old daughter has been acting like she is in her terrible twos. When she acts like this I try to not give her what she wants, but sometimes I give because she is acting so bad. What are some ideas to get her to act like her sweet self again?

Ashley-England

Asked by Ashley-England at 11:46 AM on May. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Stop giving in to her tantrums........

Answer by older at 11:46 AM on May. 12, 2011

• I agree that you have to stop giving in to her when she throws tantrums. My daughter was an angel at two - it should be called terrific twos and terrible threes - she started her tantrums at three. What I would do was if we were at a restaurant or in a social situation, I'd walk her outside and tell her that we cannot go in until she can behave herself. At home, the time outs worked wonders for me. At age four you can tell her to take a time out and sit and think about how she is behaving. I loved the "Suppernanny" book. Her techniques worked for me. My belief is that a child should behave not because she is afraid of her parents, but because she has learned self control and knows that there are consequenes for bad behavior. Hope this helps, because I know how tiring constant tantrums can be on a mom. Good luck. :-)
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 12:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I feel you! My Son is doing the same thing. Ugh! I'm beside myself and I'm usually a patient person but lately he's been working my nerves w/the whining and must have what he wants even it means crying. I think I may just go ahead and try what Ashoonick gave a tip about and start pulling back on giving in to him. I sure hope it works 'cos I'm out of ideas at this point. good grief!

MaMas06

Answer by MaMas06 at 3:57 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Borrow some of Jo Frost's SuperNanny DVDs about changing children's behaviour. The first step is to make a timetable and stick to it. OK, making a workable timetable is really hard. Then get a naughty mat and put it somewhere you can supervise. Then get a timer or stopwatch with a second hand and a loud bell. Make the timetable a little bit different to your schedule that you already follow. Include things like going to the park and playing together with you. Include Daddy time playing with her alone. You will hate it for two weeks but then it magically starts to work. Avoid going out to restaurants, movies, shops, parties, or places with lots of people until her behaviour has improved. Make sure her diet is free of artificial colours, flavours and preservatives, as there is a chance this could be a factor.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:42 PM on May. 12, 2011