Am I just wicked?

I have 6 kids. 3 bio kids and 3 stepkids and one on the way and I just feel that I am strict with my kid because I want them to be smart and not go through life not knowing what to do when they have problems.......for example I do not let my kids stay home from school because they have a headache.....take tylenol and get to school. My girls are not allowed to miss school because they are cramping. I feel that kids use these as excuses and Im sorry but when you are in the real world...like working you can't call in sick because you have a headache. I think kids read you like a book and they take advantage. I feel that I am preparing them and what I let them do can later affect them. Am I wicked?

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 11:48 AM on May. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• You sure can call in sick to work when you have a headache. That's what sick time is for.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on May. 12, 2011

• If you're wicked, then I'm evil!
    Anonymous

• Not at all!

Answer by older at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• Calling in sick for a headache? Unless it's a blinding migraine, absolutely not!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• you sound like a good mom to me that does not baby her kids every little sniffle....congrats..i agree and treat my kids the same way..lets just hope they a wonderful adults
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• you are not wicked ,
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• No your not, I am the same way with my oldest ds. Like you said you are preparing them for the real world. Shoot I wish I could call in sick when I am cramping but then I would lose money.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:51 AM on May. 12, 2011

• You're realistic, not wicked.
    sneakyboo

Answer by sneakyboo at 12:00 PM on May. 12, 2011

• minor stuff and colds- go to school!

*My daughter has HORRIBLE cramps though, so I will usually let her stay home for that for one day- she gets good grades and is a really reponsible teen though. She works hard so I don't have a problem with it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:23 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You are not wicked. You are a responsible parent. When I was young, I went to school no matter what. My cramps were horrible, too. Luckily, I had understanding teachers who would allow me to put my head down if I didn't feel well; that was a long time ago. Nowadays kids are kept home far too often and not for legitimate reasons. I'm speaking from experience as a retired Teaching Assistant. Excuses?! I've heard them all!
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 1:02 PM on May. 12, 2011