So my question is what should I do?

Let me tell you a little about what is going on. I am in a relationship with this guy and he has a 4 year old son. He gets his son every other weekend and he is a very good little boy. But lately he has been calling me mom, I don't have a problem with it and my boyfriend said it doesn't bother him ether. The only thing I have a problem with is I don't want to say its ok for him to call me mom and he say something to his mother and get her upset. I don't want to start any problems with my boyfriend and his ex. His ex is one of those people that tries to use their son to hurt my boyfriend. If she doesn't get what she wants or if he says or does something she might not like she tries to tell him he doesn't get to see their son.

Dragonliegh

Asked by Dragonliegh at 6:11 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• My hubbys son calls me "girlfriend" (or in his accent "gerfren" His mom hates it. LoL
    NoGirlsAllowed

Answer by NoGirlsAllowed at 6:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Tricky isn't it? My SS is almost five and when he calls me mommy, I correct him and have him call me by my first name.

In my eyes he is too young to make that decision to call me mommy or not and I won't diss his own mother by taking her name. (even though she is a bad mother and person)

Once he gets older and understands then I will allow him to make a decision. Just like you, i don't want trouble!
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would not let him call you mom, you both need to correct him and have him call you by your first name. If I were the bio mom and found that out I would be pissed.

BTW, I am a SP also.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• You are a Mother type figure to him so it's natural for him to call you Mom. If it really worries that much then you might want to come up with a name that will work. It's touchy with ex-wives and their children when a girlfriend or new wife is involved so keep in mind that anything you do may not be good enough for the ex-wife. Just do your best because that's all you CAN do. Good Luck
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I would just try to get his son to call me by my first name. Just keep on corecting him. Like " I am not your mommy I am________(your name here). Maybe later on when he gets older he can call you stepmom.

Answer by louise2 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My sons friend calls his Stepmom, "Momma Jane". (Jane is her name, but he puts mom in front of it.)
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I don't think anyone should be allowing him to call you mom. You aren't his mom.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 6:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• My brother's girlfriend is going through a similiar situation. She ended up having to sit down with my brother and coming up with an adequate name so that my nephew's mother wouldn't get mad. So we call her Aunt Kelly instead.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Ok so i'll be the first one to say i see nothing wrong with him calling you mom my step kids call me mom. I am their mom i love them and take care of them and do everything their real mom does so i think it's fine.
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 7:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Step Mom ..has the word Mom in it and the title is given by a legal marriage. If you are not in a permanent relationship with this man then this child should absolutely not call you Mom. No offense but if it doesn't work out and you guys go your separate ways how many 'Mom's' do you think this little boy can go around getting attached to before he's completely confused?
    Anonymous