We just adopted a dog

first thing we did after we brought her home was give her a bath and when i was brushing her i noticed 2 fleas exactly. i sent my husband to walmart asap to get something for it. i heard that fleas spread really fast. i think we caught it fast enough before she went to the yard and had much time to roam the house. i'm taking her to vet to get checked out. anything i can do to stop fleas from spreading, like keep her away from other pets, our yard or house? i can't wait to get into the vet for more solid answers or treatment.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 12:02 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Pets

• If the dog is an adult one get something like front line and put it on once a month, if it is a puppy, you need to ask the vet.

Answer by older at 12:03 PM on May. 12, 2011

• just wash her in dawn dish detergent it kills fleas and get their hair squeaky clean...the vet should be able to give you something to prevent the fleas but if you are paranoid she already has alot of them get a capstar pill it kills all the fleas she already has and makes them where they cant reproduce
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:04 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You'll definately want a monthly flea preventative as well as a monthly heartworm preventative. I use Comfortis for fleas. It's a little more pricey than the spot treatments like frontline, but I like the fact that there is no residiual left on the fur (for when my son and the neighborhood kids are playing with him) and I don't have to worry about water or baths weakening the effectiveness.
    marshsmom

Answer by marshsmom at 12:12 PM on May. 12, 2011

• puppyComfortis is a monthly chewable tablet used to kill fleas and indicated for the prevention and treatment of flea infestations in dogs. Its beef flavor is derived from pork protein and hydrolyzed soy. Who is it for? Comfortis is for dogs 14 weeks of age and older. What are the benefits? The active ingredient in Comfortis, spinosad, works on the nervous system of a flea, causing paralysis and death. Is there a generic equivalent available? How is it given? Comfortis is a chewable tablet that is given orally with food for maximum effectiveness. If vomiting occurs within one hour of administration, redose with another full dose. This stuff is Awesome

buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 12:13 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Do not use the stuff you get from Walmart it is not safe and frankly does not work on dogs. Stick with Frontline, revolution or Advantage. If you use one of these products consistantly you will not have to worry about fleas.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:17 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Fleas HATE tea-tree oil, so I would clean the house with something like Sol-u-mel. (PM me about it if you have never heard about it) and I would use a pet shampoo with it in it.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:12 AM on May. 13, 2011