Should a mom loose her kids because of cancer

NC Mom Loses Child Custody Dispute Due to Cancer
By Timothy Bolger on May 11th, 2011

Alaina Giordano, of Durham, NC, told NBC's "Today Show" that she is outraged that she lost a child custody dispute with her estranged husband over a judge's concerns that she is battling stage four breast cancer

A mother of two from North Carolina is reportedly outraged that she lost a child custody dispute with her estranged husband over a judge's concerns that she is battling stage four breast cancer.

Alaina Giordano, of Durham, criticized the April 25 ruling by Judge Nancy Gordon, which she said gives shared custody but requires Giordano's two children, 11-year-old Sophia and 5-year-old Bud, to move from North Carolina to Chicago to be live their father.

"I understand that she's uncomfortable not knowing how long I'm going live but I don't think that's a reasonable argument in this case," Giordano told NBC's "Today Show" in a trip to New York on Tuesday. "Nobody knows how long they're going to live."

Giordano, who was described as an unemployed paralegal, is concerned that if she uproots from Durham to Chicago to be with her kids that she will lose the support system she relies on and the doctors she trusts with her monthly cancer treatments.

"It's a very slippery slope when you start taking children from a parent because of an illness," Giordano told NBC. She said the ruling sets a dangerous precedent. "It appears to me the judge has decided that my husband's job is more important than my health and that's a big problem."

Giordano has another two weeks to appeal the decision but reportedly has not made a decision yet if she will follow through with the motion and would need to find an attorney willing to work pro bono. If she doesn't, the children will have to move to Illinois in June-although Giordano said her kids don't want to.

NBC reported that attempts to reach the husband and his attorney were unsuccessful.

Sofiabug

Asked by Sofiabug at 12:03 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I saw that yesterday. NO!!!!!!
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 12:04 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Sounds like there is more to the story. It sounds like the judge was concerned with the financial issue more then the health issue.

Answer by gemgem at 12:04 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Boy that is wrong, if she needs help than she can get some, but talking the kids away,that would kill me sooner.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:06 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It seems really selfish of the dad to take away custody, uproot the children and take the children so far away from their mom. He is taking away the precious time they have left with thier mom.

How is this mom supposed to afford to tavel back and forth from Durham to Chicago for visits? Or is she supposed to stop treatment and find new doctors and treatment in Chicago??

I can't believe a judge ruled this.
    Sofiabug

Comment by Sofiabug (original poster) at 12:06 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Its NC. They are all about Fathers rights to the point of being wrong.
    Anonymous

• I think it is a form of discrimination and that she should appeal.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 12:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• She(the judge) was looking at the well being of the children. The mom not being able to take care of the kids because of her health probably. I think the judge was right.

Answer by louise2 at 12:10 PM on May. 12, 2011

• That's horrible. I can understand that it is difficult to raise a child with any cancer let alone if you know you are going to die from it. Seems knowing that it would be even more important to keep the kids close. I hope everything was done on her behalf before giving them to the father. I'd arrange to have a family member living with me or whatever it took. It's unreasonable for her to be expected to get to Chicago to see them at this stage. It's just sad.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:10 PM on May. 12, 2011

• @ anon.. I live in NC and have seen cases where the mom was given more than what was fair too. Depends what county you are in lol.. some of the rural counties are really crooked.. but that's a whole different topic.. lol
    Sofiabug

Comment by Sofiabug (original poster) at 12:12 PM on May. 12, 2011

• How sad..somehow there should be a way for the kids to stay with their mother.I could not imagine being on the verge of dying from cancer and having my kids taken from me..good grief.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:12 PM on May. 12, 2011