Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok how do i take someone to court for free?

3 years ago i loaned my "best friend" some money. i loaned him $700 and he promised to pay back $900. i would not have loaned him the $700 without the $200 interest. well every time i've gone to him about the money he always has an excuse. i messaged him on facebook about it a few days ago because on some horrible financial issues and he blocked me. he changed. he's a selfish pig who only cares about himself now. i won't get the money back any other way. i need to take him to court. my one fear is that he is such a good liar and can talk his way out of anything. there are 2 other people though who know he owes me money. how do i take him to court


Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • You can try small claims court but there is always a fee. Call the courthouse and find out what it is. Usually if you have anything in writing even emails or text messages where he acknowledges being loaned the money that is enough proof.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:22 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • Call Judge Judy?? No, can go to small claims court but I can't remember who pays the court costs...I think whoever loses. If you go though, make sure you have witnesses and documentation........don't waste the judge's time....they don't like it at all! Good luck!

    Answer by Dahis at 12:24 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • You can't. There are ALWAYS fees involved in court. There is not a way to do it FREE. End of story. Just write off that friendship and that $700.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:25 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • I hope you have something in writing, if not your SOL. Print the e mail or anything that he anthologize that he owed you money. And its a civil suite so it won't be free. You will still need to pay for it unless you win then he might but I'm not positive on that note. Google free law advice in your area call the number and they should give you more info on how to proceed. But like I said before it theres nothing in writing you have no case to stand on and have to bit the bullet on that money.

    Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 12:28 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • You'll have to pay to take him to court, regardless. You may recoup your court fees in the settlement if you win, but you'll have to put them money up front first. There's no avoiding that.

    Answer by MegMurry at 12:26 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • ^ the money. Sorry that was going to bug me. LOL

    Answer by MegMurry at 12:26 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • Small Claims Court is your only option but there is a fee around $40 to open a claim. Even if the Judge awards you the money it doesn't mean he will pay & you will get your money. Live & learn.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • One more thing even if you sue and win he doesnt have to pay it back. Theres no real way to enforce it unless you can figure out how to get the judge to garnish wages. All you get is a judgement saying he owes you money.

    Answer by gemgem at 12:49 PM on May. 12, 2011

  • Small claims court, but you must pay the fees up front and you MUST have proof of what's owed. If you have nothng but a verbal agreement, you're likely out of luck.

    Answer by gdiamante at 1:18 PM on May. 12, 2011