Growing up without a mom...

I grew up without a mom and now I sometimes feel as if I have twice as many questions, and twice as many doubts because I have no idea what being a mom means. I think I have done a good job, but it has always been soo hard. Do all moms feel this way? Or does it have to do with not having my mom?

P.S. Give your mom a hug or a phone call!

bellasrose71008

Asked by bellasrose71008 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in General Parenting

• Im really sorry to hear that. to be honest, your question just made me cry, because i tried to imagine how it would be without my mom.

Even though i grew up with my mom and she is still around and always there for me and my little family, i still have the same thoughts you have. Being a mommy is the best thing in the world, but also the hardest. Its not always easy.

"being a mom".. what does that mean. when my daughter smiles at me, and i see her being happy all the time. that makes me a mommy. :)

is it ok when i hug my mom tomorrow, she will smack me in the head when i call her now (12.20am here lol).
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I believe every parent has asked this same question. It is very normal to feel inadequate or unprepared for parenthood. This is what I believe....those who question themselves are the ones who are looking for ways to be a better parent in all aspects of their childs life....those who think they are "perfect" and could not use any improvement are the ones who will look back and be asking, "What did I do wrong."

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 6:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• we all feel unsure a lot of the time. I live with my mom and still feel that way... Sometimes more so because my parents are in that midlife crisis phase and I feel like I'm not only raising my daughter, but have to yell at them too sometimes. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I feel the same way. My mom left when I was 12 and she wasn't a mom to begin with, anyway. I do sometimes feel like I have a harder time being a mom. Don't get me wrong, I try hard and I think I do a pretty good job compensating. But I see my BF going to her mom when she has questions.... and that isn't an option for me.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 8:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• (((Big Hug)))) just the fact you asked shows you must be doing something good!!!!!! I have my mom but nothing like the relationship I have with my own daughter. Check out Focus on the Family website for further reading.
    Time is the best thing to give child. And read a lot to them and talk about what you read. Enter their world and enjoy their lives. They will be grown before you know it. Just enjoy them!!!
    I had no idea really what being a mom was all about so when I found out I was pregnant with my first--my daughter--I started reading a lot of books and listening to Focus on the Family---it made a huge difference. And remember---you are probably doing a better job than you think!!!!!!
    Anonymous