Are 'middle class' job disappearing?

MY DH worked in lower management for years making about $14 an hour. His position was eliminated and he was laid off and has been doing a commission job for the last couple of years holding out for a promotion. Well, he has just started applying again and has discovered that positions he had before pay WAY less now. Ha has been offered 8.50 and 9 an hour for the same type of job be was making 14 at 2 years ago. Is this a pattern of businesses trying to save on payrole?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• I made the same amout as a jr. in high school as I do now..
    Now, that I'm 36. Different lines of work, but..
    Its crazy, at my current job it has become less employees equals more profit.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Everyone I know it seems have had to go back to school to find work and they still are paid less then they were before.
    Anonymous

• A lot of jobs are disappearing. Some companies are probably offering less in pay because they know there are a lot of people out of work and willing to take pretty much any pay in order to provide for their families. A lot of it also has to do with paying workers less means more profit for the company and companies are all about making profit.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 1:02 PM on May. 12, 2011

• My husband works in oil, as long as they don't ban hydraulic fracturing (which I really hope they don't) and the price of oil doesn't dip below $40-$60 a barrel we'll be fine. When he started working in this industry he had nothing but his GED, he should make 6 figures this year. But it's hard work, long hours, and fairly dangerous.
    miss_lisa

Answer by miss_lisa at 3:33 PM on May. 12, 2011