Anyone else depressed?

It's that time of the year again...the time where everyone is supposed to be jolly and happy...but I just can't get into it. I don't even want to put up our tree and if I didn't have a son I wouldn't...I've been crying all day and over what...you guessed it...Money...stupid money. Anyone else having a hard time this year and not in the holiday spirit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2008 in Holidays

• Christmas can be terrible to those that don't have the cash that is required to go along with it. It is sad that it became a retail holiday because it stresses people out and causes them to put off their bills for gifts that they really cannot afford and then have to play catch up for the next half year.

Although, I am not depressed this year, I have been depressed in holidays past and have not even set up a tree. I know how you feel and I cannot offer any advice.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I hope this will help you... I really should be down this year. It will be my first year without my mom. How am I not depressed? I look at what I do have.. you said you have a tree? which means you have a home to put it up in... many don't. You mentioned your child.. many have lost a child or are wanting a child this year? In other words.. although it may not be the way you want it to.... think about what you do have and though many of us may not realize it... we often have more than we realize. I hope and pray you will find the joy of this season... maybe if even looking into the face of your son and seeing his smile.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• No Im cool this year. I have had bad years but I have learned to pull myself out of it. Christmas isnt about money anyway and you can have a great christmas without spending. I have done it before.

Answer by gemgem at 6:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I feel the same way. My husband and I had a goal to buy a house by the time our daughter turned three, well we close on the house in a month. So this means that we really have to skimp on Christmas this year so we have all the money we need for closing costs. (we want to put extra down so we have a shorter mortgage) I feel really crappy not being able to give when I know I am going to receive. Normally my husband and I can HELP people out at Christmas time, now we are the ones that could use a little. I don't even want to spend the money to buy a tree this year but I probably will just for the little one. I just wish Christmas hadn't become so material to people....
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 6:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Thanks bonn, Usually I do look at what I have compared to others...and I should be happy. It's not entirely about Christmas...but the fact that it's coming makes things worse. My husband has had a hard time keeping a job. He got laid off back in august right before we had our baby and we were behind 3 mos rent. Lucky for us our landlords are awesome and worked things out with us or we'd be out in the street because we have no family here. He finds a job and things are looking up, we finally get rent and bills caught up...only to lay him off once again! Now we have to call and tell the landlords once again that we can't pay rent. We can barely buy diapers and good think I breast feed or he wouldn't have formula either. It's very stressful and it causes me and my husband to fight and argue constantly....
    Anonymous

• cont. I am so glad my son isn't old enough to know what's really going on or i'd be even more stressed out. I know with the economy people were kicked out of their rentals because the homeowners houses were forced to forclose so your right...no matter how bad it gets, It can always be worse. I just never thought things would get this bad and we are always the kind to want to help others...we can't even do that this year.
    Anonymous

• OP: Although I don't know your name I will be praying for you and your family. Feel free to PM me for prayer or any encouragement I can give.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 6:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I am totally broke. I had to move in with my parents because I have no job anymore. I am lifting my spirits by being creative this year... I am making gifts.. cookies, toys, etc. It's not much, but it's all I can do, and I know it comes from the heart.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Christmas is so hard and the kids expect so much...I know what you mean though..when I get really depressed I always tell myself that it will pass..eventually it does..if it gets really bad you should see a doctor
    cher1970

Answer by cher1970 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Yes very. We have like $700 we have to pay out before I can even think about Christmas.My hubby dont have any work so were supporting a family of 5 with about $200 a week.And to make matters worse the power comp wants to turn us off a wek before Christmas.I know it will pass but it sucks.
    Anonymous