Whose last name would you give your baby?....

Would it be wrong if I gave the baby my last name? If I wasn't with the father, but things were semi civil. I would just like to know what others think if they were in a different situation.

MommyMJean

Asked by MommyMJean at 1:27 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Baby Names

• if you arent with the father .. i would give the baby your last name.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 1:28 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You do what you think is right, it doesn't matter what other people think. If you aren't together or married then I would probably would just give the baby my last name.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• If your not with the father and have no intention of being with him then I would give the child my own last name
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I think that unless a couple is married, the child should have the mother's last name. It is your child, why should it not have your last name?
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:34 PM on May. 12, 2011

• If you are civil and he is going to be in the childs life I think it fair that his last name should be used. Maybe use yours as the middle name.
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 1:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I always say give the baby the mothers name if the parents are different. It can always be changed later, but seeing how there is simply NO QUESTION that the mother is the mother and the father can always walk away with a "that's not my child" (even when he knows it is) I don't see any reason to give the baby a different name than mom's.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:29 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd either give the father's name or hyphenate them both.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:32 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Me and my BF arent married but I am still giving our baby his last name
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:35 PM on May. 12, 2011

• if not married, even if just together, i'd hyphenate it. thats what i did. now i am married to someone else and i have his last name but my son still has the two names of mine and his dad
    mommiewife11

Answer by mommiewife11 at 1:38 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Nope not at all. I gave my first my last name. Her father and I were not together, he is in her life but I am her provider. Now that I am married she has my maiden name. She is 11 now and has no issues with her name. Sometimes she wants to use my husbands name, if she wants to change her name in the future I will let her, even if she chose her real dads name.

Also it is easier to call school and say "this is Betty Smith, Jamie's mom" than "This is Betty Smith, Jamie Kennedy's mom" also if I write a check for something for her like dance class or school lunch I have to put her full name in the memo so they know which student it is for. Not a big deal but it was easier when we had the same name.
    outlikealamb

Answer by outlikealamb at 1:31 PM on May. 12, 2011