Why would sex or how does sex ... tmi adult content

why is it said that if you have sex when dilating or close to your due date it could put you into labor? Im sorry if this is a stupid question but I just dont understand the reasoning of it or how that would work. whats the percentage of it working vs not working? do you have to be dilated for it to work ?

mommyof0210

Asked by mommyof0210 at 1:53 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• something in sperm causes contractions. its what many doctors have told people
    campbellb3421

Answer by campbellb3421 at 1:53 PM on May. 12, 2011

• an orgasm can start contractions as that is what and orgasm is... uterine contractions
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 1:54 PM on May. 12, 2011

• As the PP said sperm contains something that can cause the cervix to soften and dilate. Orgasms can cause the onset of labor.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• i believe its either oxytocin or prostaglandins that are in sperm, the same thing thet use in hospitals to induce labor. They can cause you to dialate. I think the amnt in sperm is smaller or less concentrated though, so it may take a few tries befoer it works. Im not sure how many ppl it works for, but that is how i went into labor with my frst child.
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 1:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• It's something about the sperm. I wanted to go in labor so I did it on Saturday night and then Sunday I lost my mucous plug and Monday morning I went into labor. I was a week early. And we had been using condoms for a couple weeks prior to that.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 2:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• They were going to induce me on Wed, I had sex on Monday and the baby came on Tuesday
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 2:20 PM on May. 12, 2011

• when you had sex were you dilated at all or not ?
    mommyof0210

Comment by mommyof0210 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on May. 12, 2011

• No, that's why they were going to induce me
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 4:15 PM on May. 12, 2011