Does the steroid for lung development ...... adult content

I heard that when the babys lungs are mature that the baby will let off a hormone or something like it to let the mothers body know it is time.
Well if I got the steroid to help mature my babys lungs if what I heard was true then wont my baby be born sooner or how does that work?

Im sorry if this question is confusing at all but I just wanted to know because my doctors gave me the steroid shot for him and im 32 weeks pregnant and 3 almost 4 cm dilated and 65 % effaced so they gave me the shot.

mommyof0210

Asked by mommyof0210 at 2:02 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Pregnancy

• No, giving you steroids to mature his lungs will not cause hit to mature and release the labor hormone.
    Anonymous

• I got the steroid for my babies lungs and he was born 6 days late.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 2:07 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I don't think it will cause you to go into labor earlier. I had a steroid shot at 28 or 29 weeks with my twins. I didn't have them until 37 weeks.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:09 PM on May. 12, 2011

• it wont make u have ur baby sooner. But since your only 32 weeks and ur body is getting ready this early some drs will give u steroids to help the babys lungs;
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 2:10 PM on May. 12, 2011

• its meant for ppl that are at risk for having their baby early
    chrstny88

• giving him the steroid shot doesn't just make the lungs grow faster, it makes the rest of the baby grow faster, too. However, no one can know when the baby will decide to be born, especially with a pregnancy that is high risk and/or being medically managed. I assume there is a health issue that makes the docs feel justified in accelerating your baby's development at 32 weeks gestation because it seems early to be giving the steroids unless they are concerned about preterm labor.
    nepenthe429

Answer by nepenthe429 at 2:13 PM on May. 12, 2011

• In your case,it sounds like u may have your baby soon. Doctors give the shot in case of early delivery so the baby won't have any breathing problems.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2011