Have your perceptions changed?

A comment from my other question that I think needs to be its own question. Did you have preconceptions about the people you knew growing up (friends/family/neighbors) that turned out to be vastly different once you were old enough to see them with an adult perspective? Specifically meaning people you thought believed the same as you did (or the same as everyone else) are instead people who express very different opinions about religion, tolerance, and their general demeanor towards things like gay marriage, other faiths, etc? If so, do you think it's a case of the difference always being there but it just never came up in conversation or a shift in how people act and believe as they've also grown older?

I guess the easier way to explain it - do you constantly find people you grew up with posting things on fb that you cannot believe would come from them?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I found this with the older generation. I looked up to them, and as I grew I realized our views were not so similar. As far as people in my age group I have distanced myself from several people due to their views on certain topics. In some aspects it feels as if I grew up and they did not.
    Anonymous

• Nope the fanatics are still the fanatics, The wiccans are still the wiccans, the rah rahs are still the rah rahs, the jocks are still the jocks, and the asses are still the asses. and that was a long time ago.
    daps

Answer by daps at 2:23 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I've seen some relatives email out hateful racist/Islamic crap about Obama during his election. I've always known some of my family were racist, but this level was appalling from some I thought to be the more open-minded in my family.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• yes- but I think its because I am one of the few of my HS friends that moved from the east coast out west-I initially thought the materialistic approach to life was just a teen thing but I note that most of my friends back east are still very materialistic-

The one thing that always surprises me is how many people in my age bracket (40-50) still believe gay marriage to be a religious rather than social issue-its been around for so long- I still don't get the "forcing me to accept something my religion forbids" argument as religion does not apply to US law and no one is asking any church to marry gay couples- I get that 15 years ago the issue was not as clear as it is today-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes, I see this all the time- particularly with one girl I was friends with in high school. When we were in high school, she was very meek and shy, from a really strict Baptist family... as an adult there are bikini pics all over her fb page! LOL! This is the girl who wouldn't wear a skirt above the ankle fifteen years ago! I also am learning a whole lot that I didn't want to know about some of the political opinions in dh's family... one of his uncles frequently posts things that I find... disturbing. To know him casually as I do, I would never imagine he held those kinds of prejudices/opinions!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:06 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Nope, everybody's pretty much the same now as they were then.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 6:01 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I can't say that I've experienced that.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:02 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Wait, is that a double negative?

I can say that I haven't experienced that ....
    tasches

• well, i do have this one friend from hs, who was a dear pal...he still is, but having not been around him in over 20yrs..wow! he went from being a mousy, bandgeek (no offense, bandgeek!) who clung to the 'cooler' kids and was more or less a yes-man..to a hardcore, fundamentalist-super conservative..with really weird views on Islam/BO/Israel, and tons of other hot-political items. i mean, i don't know if he's really 'that way' or still playing the role of a yes-man to..someone on his FB list?? idk..he just kinda creeps me out now.
    i also have a few relatives that i'd had to block for various adult/elder-care issues..family-drama, y'know..just had no idea how they really felt about certain things, now that we're all adults.
    i guess you can't stay young (and naive) forever. God only knows what anyone would say about me. LMBO!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:05 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Oh yes I have experienced this! It usually makes me sad though, as I realize my perceptions from a child were so naive and innocent...and sometimes the truth of a person is hard to come to terms with.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:23 PM on May. 12, 2011