Military Question

My ex is Army and stationed about 4 or 5 hours away. He has to get a pass to come for visitation on the weekend with my 4 year old dd. He has plans to come down memorial day weekend and then go back to 2 day and then be off for 2 weeks. He said he is not sure if he will be able to get the pass for the memorial day weekend but he won't know until a day or two before. My neighbor said it is unlikely because 1.as he will be gone for 2 1/2 weeks after that (3 weekends) he will probably get put on weekend duty and 2. that is a big weekend and he is only and E3 and it goes by rank. My neighbor is military but likes to talk out of his butt a lot. Does what he said sound right? I want to be able to plan my memorial day weekend which will be very different if my DD isn't with us for it but my ex just says he doesn't know if he will get it. Do you think it is likely or unlikely that he will get the weekend pass?

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 2:26 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• i am a military wife(army) i agree with zoeyis because its going to depend on alot of things..if they have enough guys to pull duty if there isnt already alot of guys off that weekend its not necessary his rank..is your neighbor in the military??
    amber_mom40

Answer by amber_mom40 at 2:34 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I'd say it's unlikely, but sometimes they'll do it especially since it's his dd and memorial day weekend is usually a 4-day anyway.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 2:35 PM on May. 12, 2011

• retired military, yes
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Ask in the CafeMom Military Moms group

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Thanks!!!!
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 9:13 PM on May. 12, 2011

• As long as there are enough people to cover whatever's going on, he should get a pass as long as he isn't on restriction. And usually the duty schedule is put out at the beginning of the month, so he would know by now if he had duty. My DH is Marines and he never had a problem getting a pass to leave out of state when he wasn't on leave. He just had to provide itineraries (times, locations, contact information only).
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:55 AM on May. 13, 2011

• Its based of first come first serve for passes, not rank. and if they have enough people to pull duty. Memroial day is normally a 4 day anyway, so he may mean mileage pass, just letting his CoC know he will be 4-5 hours away.
    And even thoug is taking 2.5 weeks leave after that doesnt matter on a milage pass. If he doent have duty for memorial day, he can put amilage pass in anyway. Sounds like you neighbor is old school military and doesnt notknow new regs.
    SierraLynn

Answer by SierraLynn at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2011