So, what do you do with birds that your cat has injured?

It's a robin. It's alive & hopping around, but it can't fly & there is a little blood on it's back near the right wing. I guess i don't have the guts to put it out of it's misery. I looked up "wildlife rehabilitation" in the Atlanta area & all i got was names & phone numbers, no businesses. I tried calling...no answer but i did leave a message.

What would you do?

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 2:44 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Pets

• It was nuts because all the other robins were trying to attack my cat, as he was trying to get at this injured bird. There was a battle going on out there...
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 2:45 PM on May. 12, 2011

• oh..tricky. idk..my dog has always finished-off her 'toys'. well..there was one time she kept dragging/tossing a mole..and i had to stone it..we had a landscape paver atop the lid of the turtle-sandbox, and i grabbed it. not something i want to do ever again.

i'm not sure humane-society/animal-control/etc would do anything about it. maybe put it somewhere 'natural' for it, and let things happen?? geez..that's lame. sorry.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2011

• yeah....it sucks. My cat is in here screaming at me to let him back out. I wondered if i should have let him "finish him off" but all those other birds were attacking my cat, so i grabbed him & threw him inside.

I think that if the bird was in a safe place, he'd make it eventually if left alone. He was still chipper....and full of life...but definitely hurt enough that he couldn't fly.
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 2:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• the animal shelters will not take him, only wildlife refugees will.
    samurai_chica

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 2:56 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You have no idea how many times, I have taken a bird off my cat's mouth and nursed it back to health, this is the only thing you can do.

Answer by older at 3:05 PM on May. 12, 2011

• hmmm is the wings broken its not good news i worked with wild life and we niver keept birds with broken wings they just dont do well and there niver 100% so dont do well once let go .
    is you do wona help the bird then there a few things to know . do not give the bird milk and bread you will need to get seeds and meal worms from a pet shop
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 3:16 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Samurai, give the bird room temp pedialyte ~ or water with a pinch of salt/sugar in it, and keep it in a quiet, darkened area away from pets and children until one of the rehabbers calls you back. They will, but this time of year is their busiest and absolutely crazy. Most are swamped with babies at the moment and are likely feeding/cleaning cages at this time of day. They can determine best whether or not your little robin can be helped. Kudos for rescuing the bird ... and I hope your cat is ok too.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:22 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Poor thing! I have nursed birds back with mixed results...the most ironic was when I rescued a bird from Super Grey's mouth and kept it in a cage and hand fed it for a week and when it was strong enough (I thought) I released it off the deck....and it fluttered a little way, landed on the ground and my OTHER cat jumped it...this time I let the damn thing keep it, and the LOOK my first cat gave me when Beauty Queen got to keep HER prize (which technically was HIS).

Sigh.
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:10 AM on May. 13, 2011