I think he's calling me to his house!

I grew up in a Catholic church..something I hated when i got older...I was not baptized and was told i can not take communion so to be the only 1 sitting there I was embarresed..well almost a yr. ago I had this over whelming desire to go to church and I went to a baptist church which i loved,but stopped going after a sermon I did not care for at all...they were talking about blended families and how even when it comes to the mothers children the man lays down the law...I dont agree with that I believe it is a colabiration...well I have that strong desire again and I beleive God is calling me to church again...I have moved to a diff area and was thinking about trying the Baptist church again...should I? I mean is it true tha I wont agree with all their beliefs and values as long as i enjoy going and get something out of it most of the time? I dont want to church shop with 3 kids in tow...it pretty much boils down to who offers a nursery during service...I want to be able to listen and not worry about my children making noise. So should I try the Baptist church again and if I dont liek it where should I go next?

happymama02

Asked by happymama02 at 2:49 PM on May. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up Baptist. I suggest you try a Inter-denominational church or the very least a charismatic Baptist church. I'd also suggest you pray to have God guide you to where he wants and needs you to be.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:52 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I would try it again. And you can also look for a place with a cry room. I was often in there when the kids were younger. I could see and hear everything but they couldn't hear us.

I very often do not agree with what my rabbi says in his sermons. But I do like the synagogue and we've made a lot of friends there. We've tried other places with a viewpoint more in line with how we think, but didn't enjoy the community as much.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• perhaps do an online search of churches in your area..find some nearby, and research their website for things like childcare, worship times/types, kids's stuff..but most of all, check out their mission statement and read what they believe as a church/teaching. it will be a basic summary, but that is a good start.
    not all baptist churches preach the 'man rules'..i mean, it could be the pastor's personal impression of ephesians, and the general consensus of the body is fine with such a fire-breath line of it..you could try a methodist church..they aren't TOO different..just a little. or perhaps a non-denominational church..doesn't adhere to any strict denominational practice, but will usually be more 'active' in their worship service.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:55 PM on May. 12, 2011

• I also grew up catholic but don't believe in all the "rules". Maybe try lutheran?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:58 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Baptist churches vary, but they are typically fundamentalists, taking the bible at its literal word. There are lots of other denominations that aren't so literal, so ask people around your area where they like to go.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:00 PM on May. 12, 2011

• You know. I would try to find a "Church of God" Any one of them.
    They are Christians. Christianity is striving to be closer to God and working on your life every way. We all fall sometimes but he NEVER fails to pick us back up.
    I go to Palmer Highway Church of God in Alaska. It's a wonderful community.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 3:00 PM on May. 12, 2011

• If you would like something closer to the Catholic church you grew up in, Lutheran and Episcopalian services are not far from it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:01 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Also, They are more open to different life styles.
    It doesnt make a difference what your life style is. As long as you have accepted the Lord as your saviour. and sometimes, you dont even have to. Test it out, I know youll like it
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 3:03 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Lutheran and Anglican (Episcopelian) are similar to Catholic, but a little looser in the rules, and usually significantly more socially liberal.

We go to a Methodist church. We have found them very welcoming, and they (at least at our church) believe that the way to be Christian is to help others by doing service. They are very inclusive of women.

There are many, many denominations and many variations within each denomination, especially Baptist.

I had this same problem. I wonder if you could call a church and ask to talk to a pastor and tell them your beliefs and what you are looking for in terms of music (contemporary or traditional) and see if they can find the right denomination and local church for you. While they all want you at their churches, I have found most pastors have friends at many different churches and can help you find the one you want. Especially if it's about your beliefs, not the services you want

Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:05 PM on May. 12, 2011

• Yes! just pray about it and ask God if this is the right church you need to be attending? he will answer you and let you know what church you need to attend
    KColeman90

Answer by KColeman90 at 3:10 PM on May. 12, 2011